Fly Fusion Forums

Gps Tracking

I have had good luck with my Garmin Etrex Venture series. Pretty simple to use and figure out. For what you want you will want one with a lot of memory or at the very least expandable memory (SD card). Mine had very little memory therefore the cross section of map I could download and waypoints I could save was very limited.

You will also want to buy the Topo Canada map software that goes with the gps unit otherwise it would really be pointless for your purposes. The maps will require the aforementioned memory.

• Like 1

I have a Garmin 60 CSx. Looks like it has been replaced by either the 62SC or ST. I'd have to dig to figure out which. They are basically the same, just how many bells and whistles. I've been completely happy with the CSx. Have not needed to expand memory. Unit is pretty easy to use, and I'm sure I'm only using a small fraction of it's capability. Has been invaluable to me on several occasions.

I had a garmin Oregon 450 that I really liked, until it was stolen. I really liked the touch screen and it wasn't too bad to see in direct sunlight, but not the best. I bought mine at GPSCity in Calgary and their prices was the best I found anywhere.

Garmin no longer makes the 60CSx ( they were a great unit ) & has replaced it with the 62 series ( 3 models available ).

I use Sanyo 'eneloop' LSD ( low self discharge ) rechargeable batteries that seem to work very well.

Read your owners manual for tips on how to preserve battery life.

The Garmin 62S that I have is good but sure sucks up the batteries. Nicads will only last about 12 hrs or so. Switched to rechargeables which isn't always that convenient.

Nicads are the battery of the past,

Ni-MH is the way to go for these units.