Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Chaparral

connoriredale

I live in the community of chaparral and the lake in convenient right now while the river is high and muddy to get some casts in. The lake is stocked with rainbow an by the size of fish I have caught so far I would guess that it was actually stocked this year. My question is what type of rig should I be using? Yesterday and today i was using a strike indicator then 1st fly was a waterboatman and underneath was a leech...Does anyone have any suggestions? Casting techniques? Depth of the flies under the indicator? order of flys? Lakes are not my usual hunting ground so any advice would help. I just dont have the streamer knowledge to be on the bow right now!

Try fishing at about 10ft. I would try a leech on top and a chironomid (or some other small nymph) under it. If you see fish taking emergers at the surface move your flies up. You can also try fishing without an indicator at the surface with dries, emergers and small nymphs.

Always be willing to experiment with stripping. Starting slow is a good place to start...but don't get stuck there. Hungry/aggressive fish will chase things down at speed (some bugs can move very quickly). Additionally you can try quick strips with pauses of various duration.

Always be willing to experiment with stripping. Starting slow is a good place to start...but don't get stuck there. Hungry/aggressive fish will chase things down at speed (some bugs can move very quickly). Additionally you can try quick strips with pauses of various duration.

for nymphs id strip slow. try using BH PT nymphs.

Thanks for the responses guy appreaciate it. Il let you know how it goes tonight...if i do deciede to try my luck at the bow from what ive read going near a drain or along the banks with a single streamer is going to be my best bet??? any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

im in lake chaparral i like trolling slow with a sinking line and black wholly bugger. there are lots of fish 5 to 10 lbs in there the trips are getting huge but i have found the bigger fish like to chase the bugger. They have also stocked grass carp so if you see schools of fish near the shore cruising don't get to excited they're just carp