Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary In July

Hey everyone, been a little while since i really been around. Have a wedding to go to in Calgary in early/mid july. So I have decided to make a decent trip out of it and am going to be taking 2-3 weeks for this trip. Plans are to spend a good chunk of the time in calgary with familly and fishing the Bow, and to take at least a few days, throw the tend and a sleeping bad in the truck and explore into the mountains a bit. Looking for recomendations on where to start looking to plan this trip. Ideas for flies for this time of year is also great. In the mountains I'm really hoping to get into some cutthroat and bull trout water as these are 2 species I'd love to finally get the chance to hook into. Also will likely be looking at getting as far up as Fox Creek AB (northwest of Edmonton I believe) for a day or two. So if anyone knows anything of that area it would be much appreciated.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I already have a couple books on the area (not sure which ones they are at the moment lol) but always looking for ideas on books or sources for study info.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

The Bow itself should fish very well in early to mid July on stonefly dry fly. You'll have to get up really early and walk some banks, but the fish will be there. Look for banks that have stoneflies sitting in the grass, or where you see the big bugs on the water. There should be some splashy / scary rises near shore as well.

Fishing the Forestry Trunk road would be a good book to help you explore the mountains, lots and lots of nice water SW of Calgary and also west of Rocky Mountain House as well. The Oldman itself from the "gap" to hwy 22 would probably suit your need for a bull and a cutt quite nicely, as both species are decently frequent in there. The Castle river also has a good number of bulls and holds cuts.

I could give you a bit more specific information if you require it, by PM.

cheers

Thanks for the reply! Some great very helpful info there. Gives me some good starting points. I have been wanting to get the forestry trunk rd book for a while I have just never jumped on it yet. Might have to call fish tales and hope I can get the book here with enough time to read it before the trip.

Gonna study up those couple rivers you mentioned. Gotta try and stop myself from wanting to fish dozens of rivers and just explore and focus on a couple good ones. Thinking that should also help make it a more succesful trip.

Thanks again

Mike

Head down to the Oldman area as there are a lot of oprions to choose from all within an hour or so...

Bring a decent Scotch if you are going to pop into "The Cutty Hut" down at Racehorse! :psssst:

Thanks for the replies! Racehorse creek is looking like it would be a great spot to use as a home base for a few days of fishing! Thanks for mentioning it! A decent Scotch is certainly not a problem there will be some traveling with me for sure ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am Moving to Calgary, going to be there the first week of July and was also hoping to fish around "the gap" for some cutties. I appreciate this discussion very much! I am from Ontario so I have never caught one before, and rather excited at the prospect. I will be stopping over in the UK on my way to Calgary so I will certainly be packing some nice scotch - if I may join the group.

Cheers,

Darren

if it was me, each night, I would walk the banks of downtown from 20:00-01:00 chucking stone flys. you have to navigate the mentally broken, meth heads, drunks, hoes and johns but the brown trout man, the brown trout.

Oh and don't wet wade, you don't want to find out you got hep a - z from a needle you bare leg grazed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I hope everyone is keeping safe and as well as possible. My trip is changing due to the current hapenings out there and some issues here at home. Still heading out there, but only for about a week and am flying so will not have a vehicle and only limited gear. Plan on fishing the bow through the city a couple days while there. Question is does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be thinking of fly wise? I'm sure hatch charts aren't gonna be much good for this year after all this flooding. Also I'll be posting again closer to the date, but if anyone would be looking to get out to any other rivers in the area and wouldnt mind having an out of towner tag along. I'd certainly be up for that. Gas and coffee/ beers/ whatever would be on me.

Take care all and thanks.

Mike