Fly Fusion Forums

Interesting Bow River Data...

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Lots of ppl love fishing the shithole (me included at times..)..heres a figure from a study im looking at for a paper im writing for my scientific writing course...the 0 km mark is the dam, and the large line is the bonny brook shithole, and the thin line is the fish creek...

study showed that the whitefish dropped to 2% of their overall biomass by the carsland weir from the dam..kinda neat

interesting.jpg

• Askey PJ, Hogberg LK, Post JR, Jackson LJ, Rhodes T, Thompson MS. 2007. Spatial patterns in fish biomass and relative trophic level abundance in a wastewater enriched river. Ecology of Freshwater Fish. 16: 343-353.

Guest bigbadbrent

it will have increased, due to population, but calgarys got an incredible sewage treament facility, so they get rid of most of the harmful stuff (also got an article about a river in switzerland, where the sewage was effectively wiping out the brown trout)...

Whiteys apparently dislike sewage and the nutrient that comes with it....brownys and rainbows like their food

also note that it is biomass, not pure numbers of fish, though they do correlate a bit

Guest bigbadbrent

whiteys decrease from the weir at 17th ave, all the way downstream to after the carseland dam where they increase again.., which must give them some refuge, or they stack there cause they cannot get past it..

if you're looking for whitefish, fish above the sewage plants (aka, Ogden road and up)

Guest bigbadbrent

they're main hypothesis is that the WTP's increase macrophytes downstream, which inhibit whitefish foraging ability (whitefish forage off rocks, so weeds screw them up), so they have to compete with trout, and they get pushed out of the zones

What's curious about the result is that Calgary's PO4 and N04 additions to the Bow were a lot higher 30 years ago prior to the increased technology of water treatment. Whitefish were a major run in the Sheep and Highwood. What has increased in the Bow is things like latex paint, birth control pills, pesticides and on and on. Water treatment removes PO4 etc well, not the others.

catch ya'

Don

Guest bigbadbrent

sorry bud, only has this graph....good thing pictures are worth 1000 words, my paper has to be 1750 words..only need 1 and 3/4 of a graph, and im set

Guest bigbadbrent

yes, bear paws dam is the 0

and as i said, go by biomass not numbers..and its like 95% whitefish

i didnt make this chart, this was done by electroshocking, hard to believe or not..this is how it is