Fly Fusion Forums

Slow/medium Action Rods Vs. Fast Action Rods For Dry Fly Fishing

ÜberFly

So I was always told (and I’m under the impression) that a softer rod (read slow or med action) protects tippets better and is preferable for dry fly fishing… I can comprehend the logic behind this with the “shock absorbing” qualities of the softer rod… A buddy argues that a fast action rod (read stiffer) protects the tippet much better... For some reason, I can’t grasp the logic of this… Can someone explain to me (in the simplest way possible) of how this is possible?

What am I missing?!

Thanks,

P

A fast rod with a light tip will help protect tippets. A slow rod with a heavy tip, more of a broomstick than a fly rod, may bust tippet left and right. The reverse is true as well. So I would say it can go either way depending on the taper.

If both tips are equal, a slow taper will have more give before reaching the tippet strength than a fast taper. For a given line weight, a slow taper will typically have a heavier tip, though, so...

A slow taper is likely to have slower line speed, so softer presentations may be easier. Probably another reason some people like them for dry fishing.

Just fish the rod you have fun fishing. Simple.

In my opinion and from what I have witnessed, those fishing a softer rod or bamboo with similar slow action, are extremely accurate in placing a cast just exactly where it was intended to go, whereas those fishing a faster rod tend to need more drifts over a fish to get the "right" one. Just an observation though, and not a statement.

Cheers