Fly Fusion Forums

It's Been A While...(Updated July 28Th)

SteveM

Thanks, y'all!

I left the fly rods at home last week & headed southeast...

silhouettecollage2.jpg

p5100396.jpg

p5110442.jpg

p5100404.jpg

p5100389.jpg

p5080317.jpg

p5080344.jpg

This is what I was chasing...

p5080304.jpg

Well, maybe a little bigger???

p5080326.jpg

How about a new personal best sturgeon? 55" x 22" girth

55x22inchsturge.jpg

p5090364.jpg

p5070283.jpg

p5080332.jpg

p5080335.jpg

54"er

p5100418.jpg

Whistling trout...

p5090361.jpg

p5090363.jpg

p5111357.jpg

Lots of fun down there; you never know what's gonna be on the end of your line. I caught a couple varieties of suckers, burbot, mooneye, sauger, goldeye,

walleye & sturgeon- including 41", 54" & 55" dinosaurs. Good times with some great friends!

• Like 1

Amazing pics. Thanks for posting those sturgeon are very impressive, are they pretty good fighters?

Thanks!

Sturgeon are real good fighters! Seems like once they get around the 3 foot mark, you'd best be using some decent gear...

My buddy was in town from Edmonchuk on the weekend.

We got out for a few hours on Sunday. Fishing was kinda slow, but we got some walleye & a few small pike.

Randy with his first-ever fly rod walleye...

p5190443.jpg

p5190444.jpg

p5190446.jpg

p5190447.jpg

p5190448.jpg

p5190449.jpg

p5190451.jpg

p5190453.jpg

p5190454.jpg

p5190455.jpg

It was a bit o' fun...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My fishing has been somewhat limited as of late; figured I'd share a few recent pics, anyhoo...

My daughter wanted to catch her first sturgeon, so I took her for a day on the lower Oldman River.

We timed it right, as we fished the weekend before the epic flooding; also just happened to be Fathers' Day.

Her first was a little guy...

rsuq.jpg

He had some funky looking barbells...

5j80.jpg

She got to feel the power of a bigger fish a little later; unfortunately, it came unbuttoned...

2ahc.jpg

Then my buddy, Wayne, hooked a good one & handed Becca the rod; she handled it like a pro!

vakm.jpg

Wayne & Becca with 54 inches of sturgeon...

esc8.jpg

Beauty & the beast...

u4nv.jpg

After releasing that one, she hooked up again with another strong fish...

w01p.jpg

Workin' hard!!!

n2h4.jpg

Almost there...

xvcs.jpg

Proud Dad (me) & happy daughter with a 48" lake sturgeon to end our day...

57nd.jpg

What a perfect way to spend Fathers Day! I still can't believe my 16 year old daughter got up at 3:30am to fish with me.

I can't say enough about what a great fishing buddy Wayne is. He handed his rod off to my kid, knowing there was a big fish on the other end.

He lives to catch big sturgeon, but didn't hesitate to pass that one off to a kid he had just met. What a guy!!!

(More to come...)

• Like 2

Yeah, yeah; I know this is a fly fishing forum.

So, here's some fly fishing pics...

I bought a new-to-me 8ft 2wt from a fellow forum member. I wanted to try it out, but there were houses

and cows and stuff floating down all the creeks at the time. Little walleye would have to do, for now.

Yep, it bends nicely...

kh6h.jpg

First of many...

iy4s.jpg

62r2.jpg

Micro-jigs under an indicator caught a bunch of 'eyes...

3enn.jpg

cskq.jpg

Had the dock all to myself for a couple hours; I guess the folks camped there all slept in that morning...

j23z.jpg

Doing my part to control the mosquito population...

5cqq.jpg

From there, I headed west to check out the flows on a couple creeks that I was pretty sure would still be high & dirty.

I was right, but I walked a bit to see how things had changed. Didn't bother fishing, but took a few flower pics for Rickr; I know how much he loves pretty flowers!

1sub.jpg

6tjg.jpg

Yessir, there was a bit of water going through here...

7fxz.jpg

(more to follow...)

My buddy, Derrick, and his son wanted to try for their first sturgeon, so we headed down to the lower Oldman

to spend a day fishing with Wayne.

Spiderwire???

wxo5.jpg

We caught mooneye...

eiee.jpg

...goldeye...

ksec.jpg

...a black-eyed walleye...

4sj3.jpg

The walleye had hitch-hikers...

y03p.jpg

Derrick got his first sturgeon...

nk80.jpg

Derrick's boy, "Justin", got to pull in a good sized sturgeon. Once again, my pal, Wayne, handed his rod off to a kid he'd just met...

hge7.jpg

Wayne gets ready to insert a PIT tag before releasing this sturgeon...

0iqo.jpg

"Justin" sends her back...

mc8q.jpg

A while later, Wayne struck again. Another big fish, another hand-off to a kid.

"Justin's" second sturgeon fought like stink!

rtf6.jpg

(More to come...)

• Like 1

We left the river when we saw a storm approaching from the west. If the "road" we drove in on got wet, we for sure

would have been stuck there overnight.

This is what we saw as we drove out towards the highway; there was definitely some rotation in these clouds...

rtmi.jpg

The rain & wind hit just as we got to the highway; figured we should wait it out, since there was very low visibility.

While we waited, Wayne texted that there was a stream flowing where my car had been parked 15 minutes earlier,

and his camper had blown off the blocks! The storm only lasted about 10 minutes. On the highway, my car shook like

a massage chair; had to stop at a carwash in Taber to get the mud out of the rims. By then, the weather was looking much better...

8k1c.jpg

Oh, and those karma points Wayne had been collecting? He cashed them in the very next day...

kqd4.jpg

This river monster would weigh around 80-85 pounds; couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

The next fish I "caught" arrived via Canada Post...

f0g7.jpg

It's an original work I had commissioned from one of my photos; it's a birthday present from my darling wife. The artist is Josh DeSmit, from Minnesota.

I sent him a bunch of pics to choose from; I had no clue what I was actually getting until I opened the package. It looks better in person, and I love it!

This is the pic that inspired the painting...

r4ye.jpg

The graffiti style painting seems fitting, since I landed this brown here...

p4260268.jpg

Of course, I got a couple more nice trout on that day in November; this 20" rainbow that I'd also caught 7 days earlier...

sepiabow.jpg

...and this cutthroat...

polaroidcutty.png

I'm thinking two more paintings would make a nice matched set???

Gotta get 'em soon before young Mr. DeSmit gets all famous & I can't afford him anymore... ;)

(just a few more pics to go...)

Took a week off from work (and from fishing) and spent time visiting my wife's aunt & uncle near Vernon, B.C.

Spent a beautiful week relaxing at their gorgeous house in Coldstream, overlooking Lake Kalamalka...

y8lh.jpg

We spent most of our time in or beside their pool or at the beach; I even got in a couple rounds of golf with my wife's uncle.

The only time I really thought about fishing was when we drove by Vaseux Lake one day; I could just imagine the bass lurking under the lily pads,

waiting to crush a popper! Someday...

I came back to a week of midnight shift at work; 11pm-7am. I planned to hit some flowing water with the fly rod Friday morning. Managed to get away at 6am

on Friday; after working all night, I headed for a few hours at the Oldman gap. Normally, I would prefer to have a driving partner after working all night; since I had no idea what time I

was going to get sprung, I went solo. Sometimes, it's nice to fish alone.

I had the stretch of river to myself for a while. Only saw one fish rise to anything but my fly; I drifted my hopper/dropper over him & he ate a little Copper John...

hgas.jpg

0t64.jpg

Picked up a few cuttbows on a foam hopper. It never gets old seeing a fish come up to smash a big ol' foam abomination!

uyc9.jpg

ovs9.jpg

vv74.jpg

This one came from a beautiful seam; he missed on his first attempt, then crushed it a half-second later!

w1nt.jpg

lgww.jpg

On my way downriver, I had a fish take a look at my fly in a nice little pocket. On my way back up, he was not tentative at all...

pzrq.jpg

He was my last of the day. By then, there were 6 other fishermen on that stretch of water. Everyone seemed to be having some luck.

Chatting with one of the guys fishing there, found out there were 3 of 'em up from Tennessee; this is their 3rd time up fishing in Southern Alberta...

7np1.jpg

bdeg.jpg

25w5.jpg

ukjb.jpg

Parting shot...

2jj1.jpg

Until next time... :cheers:

Wow a lot of pics since I last looked at this Bob.

Thanks a lot for posting the pics and sharing the stories that go along with them.

Looks like you are having a pretty great summer.

• Like 1