Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Safety

PlayDoh

For the first time I fished the main Bow current which seems to be Mach Speed. A few years ago a couple friends of mine challenged themselves to walk across the river where we camp. (Past Caresland weir). I was half expecting to see either of them slip and be lost forever, or 20 miles downstream before they could get to the edge. It was one of the most stupid things I've seen. I seen a pair of equal idiots challenge each other to tuck an entire Black diamond ski run. Those kinda things that 99% of us know better then to even think of doing it.

I told both of them to swim sideways and not fight the current, and insisted they take their pants off. I've nearly drowned myself 2' from and edge cause my pants became 3 thousand pound water balloons instantly and if not for a yank by my cousin, I wouldn't be here I'm sure. Now those were pants, I can't imagine what waders feel like when your submerged. Probably like the Titanic pulling you under.

I think if I planed on fishing the main current a life jacket might be worth the discomfort. Maybe thats a no brainer, but I don't think I've ever seen a person wadding with a PFD on. I only have thigh waders and I can hardly stand up when the water is only knee high. I plan on getting chest waders soon, but I don't think I'd venture much more then hip high, if that.

I haven't been in a rush to hit the main current, since I think its got to be a lot harder to catch fish. Not to mention the 3 seconds of drift you get till your fly is a mile downstream.

So, I'm wondering if there are some 'golden rules' of wadding, and/or Bow river wadding? I have one-piece waders and they suck. Rubber soles and river rock slime make for a challenge, especially at night. I seen some waders in Walmart for $70 which is what I'll 'like' to spend, but I'll have to look at the soles. I used to roof, and I think I have some 'corkers' left that I've seen ppl use on ice when fishing. Not sure about river bed tho. I also half expect the cheap waders to be a waste of $, and have to spend $200 at least to get some, then boots on top of that. Sheesh, I'm going to have to file chapter 11 by the time I have my pontoon. :P With the waders without boots, can u use anyboots you want?

So many questions............. sorry if there too much. :(

I worked in the U.S. in Iowa doing a lot of water quality work in the streams down there and did a lot of wading (and sometimes fish shocking which is more fun than you can imagine!). I was told that you can safely be in the water if you can multiply the depth and speed together and get less than 5. Yeah that sounds mathy but its helped me before when I was on a bank wondering if it was OK to walk in. Just chuck a light twig (or fly line with strike indicator and fly) or something in the water and check the speed. So - 1 ft deep and 5 ft/second is an example, or 5ft deep at 1 ft/second. Not to say you'd be fishing in 5 ft. of water but you get the idea. *** Insert disclaimer here***

There are also some PFD's you can get that are much more comfortable that come with those little compressed air canisters that you can manualy inflate or they also have ones that auto inflate when they touch water (probably not good in the rain).

I've got a wading belt also (pretty common I think). Helps the back out a ton and I imagine that it would also keep your waders from filling totally up with water should you fall.

Thats all I've got and I'm anxious to hear what people say about my math.

I walked the river through Fish Creek yesterday and I couldn't believe what I saw. So many people were wading up to their waist - but you can catch a lot of really nice fish in water no deeper than your knees or thighs right now.

Toolman caught that whale of a brown this past winter/spring without even wearing waders.

Fishing on the Bow rarely requires wading past your knees.

i have 5mm neopreens - wait for a sale on at one of the shops. i picked mine up for $112 last february. i personally would not go with the walmart specials. yes you can wear whatever boots you want. i have used both my hiking boots and my wading boots. watch for size. my wading boots are 2 sizes bigger than my hiking boots to make room for the waders and a pair of warm socks. i only wear my waders fall -to spring. summer is all wet wading.

avoid straight rubber soled (gum boot) type boots, go for something with cleats or felt or a combo of both. if you are taller than 5'3", :( , you dont really need to get in deeper than your knees. that being for normal people, which is midthigh on me and mid calf deep on maxwell. :(

a nice walking stick that can be clipped to your vest is also helpful at times.

if you are concerned about a PDF, yes you would look like a dork and we would all know who you are out there on the river, but at least you would be safe... or you can take a look at the fly fishing vests with the inflateable pdf. it does not have enough pockets in my opinion and would be more beneficial for a pontoon or canoe.

i'm not even going to touch the math. happy wading

I have a Stearns fly vest with a built in inflatable PFD. You can get the vest that inflates when you pull on the "T" handle on your right side or you can get one that inflates when it hits the water....as suggested I am not sure how that would work in the rain. Buy a wading staff as well and felt soles are the ONLY thing next to cleats that I will ever wade in. Fallen to many times with any other footware thanks and I'm getting more fragile these days.

i used to have those "plastic" cheap hip waders frm crappy tire, which are the same as wallmart. yes thay are cheap, and they can serve the purpose, but what I found last year, is that those things roast you alive if you do a bit of walking and wading...woow.. Your pants/shorts and socks will be through and through soaked after a days fishing, that you might as well just step into the water with shorts on. Plus the boots kinda suck, super slippery on the wet rocks. And the edge of where teh boot is attached to the wader, has a sharp ridge which has cut me really deep into my calf last year after walking for hours. I felt something hurting, but never bothered to check it until the end of teh day....woops.

This year I picked up a pair of neoprenes from Russels sports bu heritage...$84 so that's not bad at all, and they are pretty comfy. I wear my hiking shoes with them. If you don't have any, check out Winners or somethign like that, and pick up an simple or cheap pair of hiking boots, and you can stick on one of those anti-slip things if yu want.

about wading safety.... I was kinda being an idiot myself today... ;) Went to cross a bit of water to reach a bank in the middle of the river.seemed pretty shallow to get there, and wasn't too bad. Was surprised with the power of the water, didn't look that strong. Mad it over no probs though. Back was different. Kinda lost where I crossed, and started to cross, and found myself getting deeper and deeper. To a pont where I felt uncomfortable, and was having more difficulty making my next step. Water is definatly moving!! So backed up...did this twice before I found my shallower cross point. Won't do that again...doesn't take much to go for a swim.

So safety tips... For what I have experience for myself.

bring a stick or cane or whatever. That way you can check the depth in front of you before you step, and gives you extra ballance, essepcially on slippery rocks. And in my case today, with a stick, I would have been able to push myself back once I got too deep, way easier.

Second, if you plan to cross like I did, and found a safe way to do so...make sure you landmark where you crossed. Sounds easy, but could make things a lot easier if you do so.

Waders can be scarry and dangerous I think. once they get filled with water, they become like a sea anchor. Don't try to fight it, cause you will lose!! take a deep breath, stay calm and try to get ridd of your waders. So if you are wearing shoes, I would not put double knots in therem so you can yank them easily. Migth be worth having to ret-tie a couple times. Than get your waders of or down at least. Depending on what kind you have. Maybe wear a knife that you can reach easily and cut it off. if it comes to my life or my waders.... pretty clear...

Try to stay calm, and get a breath where you can, don't try to swim. you will lose energy and oxygen fast that way. Dump your stuff first.

Good topic, i think it can be very underestimated.

Teck rules of wading,

1. if you don't feel safe your probably not, don't do it.

simple wading advice (works good with other things as well)

further

2. if you are alone triple your care

3. use a wading staff

4. .If you fall put your feet down stream a broken leg is much preferable than a broken skull

5. when your waders fill with water, they are heavy so when you get to shore Don't stand right away, undo your waders and roll them off to drain as you stand. Waders can hold a lot of water wieght, but when in the water and full they a nuetral bouyant, it is out of the water that they feel heavy. when you get a chance find some slow to no flow water and test it.)

Teck

Thanks, great advice and the link. I didn't realize there are reasonably priced waders around a hundred buck. I'll be getting some for sure now. I guess I'm guilty of the misconception of heavy underwater waders. Yet since my clothes almost drowned me, I'm a little wary of swimming with more then a swimsuit. I've seen some vests that looked like they were designed to float, but I didn't know that some inflate, great idea.

The landmark and Cane idea are ones I could have used the other day. I stayed across the river till it was dark and not only forgot where it was easiest to cross, but I couldn't see jack. Baby steps and turning around a few times took forever. With my thigh waders and were I fish there is no hazard more then getting wet, but while I tried the main current of the Bow I was reminded of the danger.

Thanks again.

If you're real worried about safety you can pick up a pair of the waders/survival suit that I'm sporting in this gem of a photo here. They'll keep you warm in iceberg infested waters of the North Atlantic - mind you its a bit difficult to tie knots and cast with the giant 3 finger hands but safety first, right?

post-1022-1192508790.jpg

If you would feel safer wearing a PFD they do sell fishing vests with a PFD in them. They just have a pull cord on the side of the vest that when pulled inflates the PFD. The only place i saw these so far was in BC however you might want to look into them online.

Cheers!