Fly Fusion Forums

Refelting Boots

Getting so close to getting on the water now. I was helped out from here with some waders and boot!! Now Im ready. But I was wondering about refelting the boots that I bought. They are used but that no biggie just wondering if there is a place In town that refelts and what a price tag would be. I bet it would make for a bit if a more comfortable walk. Is it a real easy thing to do it yourself? Just a few questions cause I always have them

Guest Grinr

"Back in the day" we used PVC Contact Cement to glue outdoor carpet to our rubber soles.Not sure how well that would stick felt to felt,but I'm sure there must be some kind of adhesive that's up to the task?

plumeja

Yeah grinr is right. If you have to buy the felts anyway then buy them and a $6 can of contact cement. Use lots of cement. You may want to put two coats on the felts.

Make sure the boots re dry and remove all old felt and use a grinder or rasp to clean the soles. Get them pretty clean but leave a tad rough.

Follow directions on the cement. Hammer the felts in place when the cement is ready and wrap with rope or tape for a few hours--even tho contact cement is "instant" it may separate.

I did two pairs three years ago...still good. Lasted longer than the factory felts.

Clive

As others have mentioned, contact cement is the way to go. The key thing is to use multiple coats, especially on the felt side. Three or four coats is not too many. It's very easy to do. Terry

You buy the soles and glue at wholesale sports in one package, get the biggest they have to be sure. About $30 or so for the soles and glue. To get them done at Alpine shoe will be about $90 then.

To do it yourself

I made video this so I'd remember how to resole them forever. Did it several times with my own boots and worked well.