Fly Fusion Forums

Line Twist

bjbailey

Hey Experts,

As I've been tying through winter and re-stocking my box in chronological order of the hatches/seasons for this upcoming year, I'm reminded of some really annoying line twist I was getting last year with hoppers, particularly a few foam patterns. Does anyone else find that layered foam hoppers tend to roll in the water and twist up your line? Maybe this is something to do with a bad casting stroke I've developed? I noticed that it happens a lot less when I have a hopper with a full natural overwing (deer hair, etc.). That makes me think that it's partly to do with how the fly is riding in the water more than my casting (the wing doesn't allow it to roll and tumble as easily in the water).

Any thoughts on causes or remedies?

Thanks all.

Just some thoughts, my hoppers don’t roll in the water. Be sure you fly line itself isn’t twisted on the reel. I’ve seen this, a good way to rectify it is to let out the fly line alone downstream then reel it back in. I did have a fly line at one time that was susceptible to twisting, you might test a different fly line, hoppers are large and do like a line with a bit of forward mass to cast correctly compared to a say a dry fly. Some lines have more memory than others and like a quick stretch before use. As you indicated it could be the cast or a spinning fly in the air before touchdown, some flies do like to helicopter. Lots of things come into play. Be sure of course that your setup is balanced line to rod and is correct for casting large bugs.

• Like 1