Fly Fusion Forums

Kayaking And Flyfishing

I've been wondering about all the fuss down south about kayak angling...

and wondering if anyone north of the border has done any flyfishing from a kayak.

if you have - care to share?

where'd you fish? lake, stream or river?

dryfly or wetfly?

type of kayak?

and any suggestions: pros or cons?

Dale

i read an article ina fly fishign magazine i cant remember wich but it borek down a bunch of em and mostly how too use em saltwater...but i bet they would be insane for access too water if u could pack ur gear with you on streams in alebrta and b.c. or werever...i dotn own one yet but its on the list forsure...

probably was dude :lol: ... ill dig around for it in a few days once im done bully bingin....and FHD i can pop it in the mail if u wana pm me ur mailing address...it wont eb tons of info but worth the read

Hey Maxxy..... a point of inquiry....... that is english you're typing right?????

I have two acquaintances who either have fished or do fish out of kayaks. A friend of mine I grew up with on the Island, built one out of wood and canvas and fished the ocean and lakes. Another fellow I know on the east coast fishes for Stripers out of his.

probably was dude :lol: ... ill dig around for it in a few days once im done bully bingin....and FHD i can pop it in the mail if u wana pm me ur mailing address...it wont eb tons of info but worth the read

Maxwell, that would be great - once your done bullying the bing, :blink:

please do send it my way.

4822 - 21 ave NW. T3B0W9.

mucho apprecciatio!

Well,

I rented a 10foot kayak today and floated the Bow, Bowness to Shouldice - short trip but I wanted to see if it could be done.

I brought my dry fly rod and spent time casting and floating, righting and paddling, and casting some more.

(No, I did not have a fly on the end as it's off season now) but I think it went very well.

I could see that I would need a couple of gimmicks like a paddle holder and a rod holder whilst I'm working one or the other.

but the kayak was easy to handle, quick to manouvre, fast in crossing the river if I decided to go the slow side.

and it was a simple blessing to just float and watch the line float ahead of me, or beside me.

I also floated over my favorite hole and saw a huge bowie three feet under the kayak!

it never flinched as I crossed right over it!

next time I will take my waders and stop a while here or there and try out some new holes!

all in all, I am excited about the possibilities.