Fly Fusion Forums

Caddis Emerger

RandyS

Does anyone have a favorite caddis emerger pattern they would like to provide a recipe, photo or link to?

For lake patterns I have been using the usual scuds, leeches, chironomids etc. When I was out at BH the caddis hatch was on. These fish were sipping on the surface and I'm sure they were taking the emergers. I tried to see what was on the surface (shuck)before they hatched and flew away but it seems they just appeared and I couldn't tell what they looked like.

How would one present this fly on a lake? Still or with movement? What would be your methods and go to fly on a lake caddis hatch? Any advise? Thanks.

Randy..

Try this. Simple. Works. I wanted an emerger last year and the existing patterns are way too complicated. I am an Ice Dub geek and it works well on this pattern. As always, use what you have and colors to resemble what's around. This brown combo seems to work for caddis on our rivers and lakes..you may want a greenish one too.

The key is the fat ass. Taper to back.

Cheers!

Clive

emerger.jpg

For lakes, you can always try a good old "Carey Special" too. I don't have a picture, but it's not hard to find in a search.

I usually just cast and strip it in with short, quick little strips.

Another good pattern to try is a Spent Caddis. The fish are cruising around picking off emergers, cripples and spent caddis, so all you have to do is "Lead" a feeding fish by 20 feet or so and let it sit there in the surface film.

If the fish are sipping off the surface and you can't get them to take what ever you are trying, throw a bouyant Caddis pattern like a "Goddard" and skate it across the surface to try to entice a strike.

Guest rusty

Randy,

The Kamloops Caddis Pupa is absolutely lethal at BH this time of year. I fish it on a long leader and strip it fairly actively. I caught 3 22" rainbows on back-to-back-to-back casts right off of Whiterock there one day last year.

It's similar to this one:

caddis-kamloops-pupa.jpg

I have to agree with Rusty, the Kamloops fly is very productive at Bullshead. I use the recipe from Phil Rowley's Fly Patterns for Stillwaters and it is as follows and looks like the photo posted by Rusty:

Hook Tiemco 5263 sz 8-18

Thread Olive

Rib Bright Green Super Floss

Body Arizona Synthetic Peacock

Wingcase Pheasant Tail

Thorax Peacock herl

Swimmerets 2-3 Pheasant tail fibres

Beard Peacock Angel Hair

Head Peacock herl

Hope this helps,

Terry

Randy..

Try this. Simple. Works. I wanted an emerger last year and the existing patterns are way too complicated. I am an Ice Dub geek and it works well on this pattern. As always, use what you have and colors to resemble what's around. This brown combo seems to work for caddis on our rivers and lakes..you may want a greenish one too.

The key is the fat ass. Taper to back.

Cheers!

Clive

emerger.jpg

Clive, tried tying a few of these tonight. Quick question. do you want the peasant tail fibres to be right under the body, and how do you get them there?? cant seem to wrap my brains around it at the moment.

Thanks

Clive, tried tying a few of these tonight. Quick question. do you want the peasant tail fibres to be right under the body, and how do you get them there?? cant seem to wrap my brains around it at the moment.

Yes fibers under the body. Well, with large fingers like mine it is not easy. As you can see in the second image, the fibers are left long. You can pinch the butts with your right thumb and forefinger and set them along side the shank. Then grab the fiber tips with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand and work them into place under the body trying to get a few on either side of the hook shank. Anchor the fibers and make sure they are organized before you tighten too much. Then dub in the thorax/head dubbing. If you see that caddis pupae image that was posted yesterday, you will get the idea why the shape is thus. Note also that the one shown is greenish. Lots of color variations.

The emerger shown by rusty has "winner" written all over it. Nice fly.

Yes fibers under the body. Well, with large fingers like mine it is not easy. As you can see in the second image, the fibers are left long. You can pinch the butts with your right thumb and forefinger and set them along side the shank. Then grab the fiber tips with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand and work them into place under the body trying to get a few on either side of the hook shank. Anchor the fibers and make sure they are organized before you tighten too much. Then dub in the thorax/head dubbing. If you see that caddis pupae image that was posted yesterday, you will get the idea why the shape is thus. Note also that the one shown is greenish. Lots of color variations.

The emerger shown by rusty has "winner" written all over it. Nice fly.

Thanks clive, I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.