Fly Fusion Forums

Advice On A Pontoon

DRock

Ok well that time is coming up where im looking to buy a pontoon. it would be my first. i will do most of my floating down the bow, possibly on overnighters. Im looking at either getting the Outcast PAC 1000 FS or the PAC 900 FS.

your opinions on either model or if you have any other brand suggestions and why.

Thank you

At that level, I would also check out north fork outdoors (scadden) and bucks bags. I have heard nothing but good things about the pac boats, however it is good to see what all is available:)

I have a scadden with casting deck ((Madison model), that I really like. However I don't use the casting deck much. If I was to do it again I would probably get one of his frameless models, since I now drive a car.

I have the PAC 1200 pro, and I think the boat is outstanding, if you have the extra cash to spend i would go this route at 13 feet its easy to row on the river, as 420 said go with the larger model, not only can you use it by yourself and easily break it down if need be, i'm lazy and trailer it around, but its nice to have a extra seat and the lean bar with the casting platform, easily mount a trolling motor and lots of storage room at the back for a day trip with two people, i've even packed three on mine for full days on the bow without too many problems, this boat so far has been indestructable i have bounced it off rocks, trees, the bank of the river, drug it on gravel and have not even looked at the patch kit, there is a story a friend of mine told me about a guy in the states dragging the boat after it fell of his trailer for a few km blowing both pontoons and air cells apparently tearing them to shreds, and with the ten year warranty outcast fixed it for only the price of shipping.

With anything there is always a plus and a minus and pontoons are no exception.

Frameless - lighter, easy to set up, fits in any trunk, there are what they are ie: a 1 man pontoon can only be a 1 man pontoon

Frame types- longer set ups, heavy, will fit in a trunk if you don't mind the lid being open, can be easily modified ie: side by side seating. bimini tops, bigger motors, front steering capabilities. The list goes on.

I suggest go big and with a frame your ability to fish more bodies of water in comfort and safety will out way the minus's.

ok thanks for your suggestions guys, now i may have a tougher time, im now considering the Dave Scadden Skykomish sunrise model, the price is awesome too at 999.99 from the regular 1800 bucks

i also looked at the frameless foldcat. pretty handy and you sit up high unlike the scadden frameless as it just sits too low.

something that i factor in is that i will be breaking it down and putting it together upon transport as i drive a compact suv and not a truck

decisions decisions....

the shows coming up next week and i hope i can make up my mind before its over

Scadden is a winner. Mine fits in the back of my small car and I plan putting a electric motor on it this year. The frameless construction makes it light and easy to transport.

I have had a more typical pontoon boat and it just didn't have the maneuverability and scadden handles up to class 3 rapids better.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

• Like 1

With anything there is always a plus and a minus and pontoons are no exception.

Frameless - lighter, easy to set up, fits in any trunk, there are what they are ie: a 1 man pontoon can only be a 1 man pontoon

Frame types- longer set ups, heavy, will fit in a trunk if you don't mind the lid being open, can be easily modified ie: side by side seating. bimini tops, bigger motors, front steering capabilities. The list goes on.

I suggest go big and with a frame your ability to fish more bodies of water in comfort and safety will out way the minus's.

They are not only 1 man check out the scadden assault xxx they also have a assault xx

Scadden is a winner. Mine fits in the back of my small car and I plan putting a electric motor on it this year. The frameless construction makes it light and easy to transport.

I have had a more typical pontoon boat and it just didn't have the maneuverability and scadden handles up to class 3 rapids better.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

Actually most of their boats are rated to class 5 water, not that I'm brave enough to try it. Just nice to know my boat is capable of running water that I wouldn't even consider!

I love my Scadden Outlaw Escape. I'm not a great swimmer, but with a PFD on I feel really safe in this boat. Maybe too small for what your looking for but setup and breakdown is fast and it all fits in the trunk. Dave Scadden is a good guy to deal with too. You usually talk to him when you call north forks directly.

G'd luck in your hunt.

there is no way in hell you'd be running the Assault boats in class 5 and being ok out the bottom

They are great fishing boats, but the class 5 rating is a joke (you don't see the Aires and Maravia's of the world giving their boats a whitewater rating...)

Just a note, i own an assault XX..and bent out an oar on the bulkley, which is a class 1, maybe 2 (for the people who would know (pkk, uliwon, etc) what would you class Tatlow and Telkwa stuff?) where i floated.. Even with upgraded oars, the rack and pin system is an obvious short coming for heavy water. like i said, great fishing system, but don't kid yourself that you'd be ok in class 5

I've been tossing around the idea of getting one this summer myself. Doing some searching ive heard great things about the Feathercraft BayLee 2 HW and was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these.

TBH the Assault looks way better for fishing as you sit quite a bit higher. But the 11lb Baylee looks so enticing for those backpacking trips!

Nik

a real boat.

I have a Hyde pro high side and a Fishcat and use them both routinely, but for different reasons. The drift boat is great for socializing with friends. However, if I'm in the mood the really fish, I take the pontoon... With flippers I fish constantly vs sharing rowing with the drift boat. Pontoon is more maneuverable, low profile and quiter. Definitely puts more fish in the net and you can fish alone. There is no way I would give up the pontoon. Next boat will be the pac9000. Low profile four chambers good capacity ....

I've taken my Outcast Discovery 9IR through class 2 rapids, no problem. First time I was a little nervous, but it's amazing how stable you are with your feet braced on the foot-pegs. Definitely no need to hold on for dear life. Oars were fine, and I leaned on them.

Actually most of their boats are rated to class 5 water, not that I'm brave enough to try it. Just nice to know my boat is capable of running water that I wouldn't even consider!

Went to the website - the 6' escape is rated to Class 3. I have ran class 3 water in it in alberta with my fly in the water on ocasion. Class 3 is not a problem. See http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2012catalog/page8.html.

So I went to the show today and I picked up a Dave scadden outlaw X5. I went to the show with my mind set on purchasing the skykomish model but got such a great deal on the X5 A bonus is that the wife okayed it!!! Can't wait to recieve this thing

• Like 1