Fly Fusion Forums

Organizing Fly Boxes

It is my time of year to clean my rods, service and clean reels and most needed re organize my fly boxes (long overdue). I tend to cram too many flies in my boxes, and it is a bit harder to spot some wanted flies some times. I am thinking of fewer flies per box but then I carry more boxes in my vest,(to paranoid not to have them all with me.). Are you guys like me and over pack the boxes, or do you leave some room and carry spares? Wondering if I should use a diff approach to packing my flies.It seens when I select some for a day on the water, I may run out of the hot ones. What are you FFC folk doing with yours?

Well....

I like to dry fly fish quite a bit so, I have a caddis box, a box with bwo's, pmd's, spents, cripples, small mayfly types, cdcetc...

If I'm going for a quick fix, it's a few spools of tippet @ chosen dry box & thats it.

I have a hopper box, stonefly dry box.Each one carried depending on whats needed.

Now were nymphing so I usually rob out of several nymph boxes put in a smaller box to get me by for the day.

Streamer fishing, maxima & a good choice of streamers to keep me going.

Time for lake fishing, I'll need about 3 or 4 boxes of flies and of this use maybe 20 flies. lol.

I have so many boxes and flies I could outfit a small army.

Bottom line you can't carry everything so I take what I need and that's it.

In my boat that's another matter, flies for me, flies for my friends and on & on.

If I have a problem of running out of a certain hot fly that usually means it's been a great day.

I do also use a size lg Cliff box that carries a smattering of everything needed for anything encountered that works well for the boat.