Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Rod And Reel Combo

Like Tungsten said, fly fishing is very personal and choosing a fly rod, reel and line is different for everyone.

My suggestion: If they have shown some interest in fly fishing then why not purchase them a 1 day fly fishing course at one of the local fly shops (CP, fish tales, hansons etc?) These usually run all day, and go through all of the basics. In addition you also get to try out many different fly rods, to get a better feel for what you like.

These courses usually run about $125, if your goal is to spend $300 then you could also get them a gift card for $100 at the same shop for the purchase of thier future fly rod. Most shops will usually give you a discount on your first setup as well.

Hanson's does a boot camp for $225 I think, and rod and reel are included. They are currently hooked up with Hardy, so I'm pretty sure the rod and reel are both from Greys. I've casted them and they are really pretty nice. I fish the reel myself actually. If you sign them up for a boot camp in the spring, I'm almost positive they will give you the rod and reel now.

• Like 1

Hanson's does a boot camp for $225 I think, and rod and reel are included. They are currently hooked up with Hardy, so I'm pretty sure the rod and reel are both from Greys. I've casted them and they are really pretty nice. I fish the reel myself actually. If you sign them up for a boot camp in the spring, I'm almost positive they will give you the rod and reel now.

Correct and correct, based on what I was told by students and seen them with in their courses this past summer. I would combine this with some other small item, like a hat for a nice little Xmas pressie.