Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Stinger Hooks

Din

I have bought all the materials, and have searched around the internet for resources on how to go about doing it but have come up empty handed...

If anyone can point in the right direction or post how to do it that would be greatly appreciated.

Two Questions of concern:

1) I have some large hooks with large eye holes to be able to put fireline through and will just cut the hook to leave the hook shank. What knot is suitable for that part?

2) how do I properly attach the fireline to the trailing hook?

I am pretty clueless, so anything will help!!

Thanks!

Mitch

Hey Mitch

Take a length of fireline and fold it in half. Thread the fold through the eye of the hook from the bottom of the eye. you will now have a loop. pull the loop over the bend of the hook and then take out the slack. The fireline should hold the hook at the eye. Tie on the loose end of the fireline onto anoth hook. I ussually tie the stinger point up so that you have one down one up. I hope that makes sense to you.

Hey Mitch

Take a length of fireline and fold it in half. Thread the fold through the eye of the hook from the bottom of the eye. you will now have a loop. pull the loop over the bend of the hook and then take out the slack. The fireline should hold the hook at the eye. Tie on the loose end of the fireline onto anoth hook. I ussually tie the stinger point up so that you have one down one up. I hope that makes sense to you.

Great thanks!

I have the loop thing understood for the trailer hook.

Next though, how do you tie the loose end of the fireline onto another hook?

thanks again.

Lay the tag end of the fire line along the shank of hook you are tying it to. Use tight wraps of thread front to back lashing the fireline ends to the shank. You can add some extra durability by doubling back the tag end and tying it down.

Perfect. Thanks. Wasn't sure if there was a special knot or anything. guess not.

mitch

I like to put a little head cement on after tying on the fireline to the forward shank, and then double back and tie the doubled back section down while the head cement is still wet. I've seen a few stingers tied repeating the same process with a second piece of fireline for a bit of insurance.

Do any of you ever use Waddington shanks?

I like to put a little head cement on after tying on the fireline to the forward shank, and then double back and tie the doubled back section down while the head cement is still wet. I've seen a few stingers tied repeating the same process with a second piece of fireline for a bit of insurance.

Do any of you ever use Waddington shanks?

I've tied on Waddington's many times. Good for certain patterns.

Can I ask please whats a stinger and fireline ???

The end result looks the business - I much prefer the hook trailing with bunny patterns, otherwise you get loads of nippy takes.

A stinger is our term for a trailer hook........Fireline is a fishing line made by Berkley......very strong for it's diameter.

instead of fireline, i use braided stainless steel. comes in a roll from the craft store for around $5. specifically it is for jewellery making but oddly it is marked as 15lb test.

works great for adding both the stinger and for adding an extended tail above body using beads without the hook - great for a dragon or damsel fly pattern. gives a lot of movement and flash. you can also use a tube crimp at the end of the loop to add on krystal flash.