Fly Fusion Forums

Jumping Browns And Dogging Rainbows

I caught three browns on the weekend that jumped high and continuously. Somewhat unusual IMO. Maybe because brownie spawning season is close. I also caught some rainbows that didn't jump once. Go figure. :huh:

One of the browns I hooked into yesterday did the same. Suprised the heck out of me - had 3 or 4 huge jumps and then returned my hook to me.

Explosive runs, eh? I have never had any fecal matter deposited on me by a fish. :P In seriousness though, I too have caught some acrobatic browns that took me to backing far quicker than i would have liked. If it's big, it will run, and it may jump as well. Unless it's a bully or a grayling. Or a rock.

I have always found that the silver colored (Loch levin) browns in the bow are much scrappier and more accrobatic than the German(yellow) browns which tend to dog it out and roll a lot not unlike Bullies although every once in a while one will totally fool you and fight like the dickens.

I have definitely had surprises with fish caught, like when you expect a brown to be on your line by the way it fights only to find a rainbow. Also, I've caught a few browns (not many) that have done aerial like you'd expect from a rainbow, although ususally they aren't quite as 'energetic' in their air time. Once in a while you get a surprise fishing. I still get surprised that I actually caught a fish!

Browns are kinda funny that way. On one of my favourite pools on Stauffer I got to know the three biggest fish that lived there. I caught them a few times this season, two of them fought fairly hard subsurface but the third one always jumped 2 or 3 feet out of the water sometimes 4 times in a row.