Fly Fusion Forums

Air Travel

Great from what I have read it had to be under 22 inches but I really don't want to send my rod in luggage. Thanks for the tip, on the flies, easy enough to over look that and have to replace it or retie.I phoned the airline lastnight but they weren't very helpful, just read me what was on there website. They leave a lot of room for interpatation

You could always ask the flighties to put them up in their coat closet!! I've never had an issue with domestic flights and overhead storage with 4 piece rod tubes. Oh and in a past life I worked as a rampy at YYC with AC and handled both 4 piece tubes and multiple spey tubes!!

Rods, reels, spare spools, lines, leaders. Never had an issue with any. Depending where you're headed take the essentials to fish (as in clothes etc. obviously) in a carry-on also just in case, at least you can borrow flies and still fish til your bags show up if something happens. One of those Fishpond travel cases held 8 rods (just in socks) and all my reels last trip, no issues, and are size legal for carry-on.

Depending on where you fly out of if they don't have one of the bomb sniffing machines they will deny you lines if they are in your carry on.

Had this happen to a few guys I fished with on a recent trip to the Skeena, where they wouldn't allow the lines. I always check all my gear and pray it gets there when i do.

I've had a USA transit starting from Calgary (YYC) and my flies where in my unlocked (by US reg) checked hard case. On arrival at destination after the connection in SanFrancisco (SFO), all the flies in two seperate boxes were dumped/and shaken out of the foam backing in to the suitcase.

Nice. :johnny: