Fly Fusion Forums

First Fish On The Two-hander

Glenbow

Here's my first fish on the 2 hander. I haven't cast it since being shown a bit by Toolman in July, so it was fun to try swinging again & got a big fish to show for it. What a good time!

IMGP0539.jpg

IMGP0541.jpg

No jokes about it being a whitie.........

Gordon,

That's like saying "wow, you managed to date a pretty girl - stop now before it's too late, you'll never find another one like that", or how about "Now that you've had your first beer, forget about it - stop drinking beer now. It only tastes worse with time". Forget it, I'm already hooked. Pardon the pun.

Guest bigbadbrent

beer tasted like crap the first time i had it.....

good fish...hahahajhhahahahahahaha...lol, those are big whiteys. Lake whites?

Congrats Glen.

I have no idea what the spey is all about, nor do I want to know. So please, no-one tell me ok? My marriage has enough stress as it is!

OK then I won't tell you you can lay out longer casts with less effort. Fish spots that you couldn't reach before. Fish in spots where there is zero room for back casts. And fish a style that is much easier on your shoulders and arm than single handed with requires less effort and that you can change of direction during a cast. I also better not tell you that it offers longer rod control for mending and double handed comfort. Playing fish takes on a whole new dimension. Gone is the feeling you don't have the control you need. With a Spey Rod you have leverage and power along with a suppleness that protects your tippets.

Oops..... shouldn't have told you that. Please ignore the above.

LOL..... ya. I hear ya. Heading to BC for a week ... hoping to also connect on my first spey fish. And if all goes according to plan... it'll be of a chrome variety!!

Congrats on that whitey . it's frikkin huge

Good luck to you on your trip. Looking forward to your posts when you return.

Gone is the feeling you don't have the control you need.

Isn't "the feeling you don't have the control you need" a big part of fly fishing? If I was in complete control of every fish I caught I don't think it would be too much fun. Could you expand on this a bit please SilverDoctor as I'm visioning spey rod fishing in the same light as using a mooching rod to haul in an 8" brookie.

Thanks

Isn't "the feeling you don't have the control you need" a big part of fly fishing? If I was in complete control of every fish I caught I don't think it would be too much fun. Could you expand on this a bit please SilverDoctor as I'm visioning spey rod fishing in the same light as using a mooching rod to haul in an 8" brookie.

Thanks

Hi Weedy,

By control I mean is line control. The Spey style of casting allows you to change the direction of your cast in mid cast. It also allows you to thowe sinking tips and large streamers if needed. But I have done a lot of dry fly work with this rod using flies like skid bitches down to #20 BWO's. The double handed rod especially allows great line mending because of rod length. The rod I use on the bow is the Deer Creek 5 wt which is a great trouter. Not at all like a "mooching rod". Not even close. It is light and respondent fly rod. It's my big river rod and a 8 " trout keeps things interesting. If I fish small lakes and creeks I will use my 3 or 6 wt. single handed depending on the area. Most of the trout I seem to get interested are between 12" and 23". They all give me a great run on this rod.

my predicited pros and cons for lakes

pro- amazing roll casts while fishing from shore

pro- lotsa backbone, lotsa height to keep pressure on.

pro- turns over long leaders like a dream.

pro- I am almost positive these long rods would be great for fishing deep chronie and such as the length will help the hookset

pro- you know how the other guy in the boat hides in fear while you are casting... would not be a issue with the spey as just switch hands depending on which side of the boat you are on.

pro- those big fish won't know what hit em!

con- Not sure about the deer creek but my metolius 5/6 would be a little overpowered for anything under 12 inchs or so

con- can't see it being anything but trouble in a floatube....

con- I think a few of the spey elite may kill for such a blasphemy

con- I can't think of any more cons but I'm sure a few will pop up once I actually do a bit more lake spey casting.

con- ya might catch a burbot ;)