Fly Fusion Forums

Off Leash Natural Areas

Not trying to create a stir here but are there other guys/gals who feel the same way about off leash dogs along the river? 20 years ago, you might see an off leash dog out for a walk with someone once in a while, now it seems they are nearly everywhere. I get concerned with habitat damage in the Southland off leash area(I know the city has done a lot of work to control) but the amount of damage in areas where the dogs run up and down the banks is excessive. Another area I like to fish is down by the Pine Creek water treatment area. This is an unoffical off leash area. This area is now getting trampled to the point where the bank is becoming unstable in areas and the vegetation is becoming denuded (if thats a word!). I am all for off leash areas folks, I just get concerned with off leash areas in sensitive areas. I fully support off leash areas that are fenced and do not contain wetlands/sensitive areas. Does anyone else feel the same way?

No. Calgary has a distinct lack of off leash parks. If anything, I would like to see more. Dogs running around along the river are not making the banks unstable. Following that rationale, yourself as an angler would be contributing to bank instability. I don't live in Calgary, but I feel for dog owners as they have a right to have areas to take out their dogs and in Calgary off leash areas are very spread out. 99.9% of the Bow isn't along a designated offleash park, perhaps you need to broaden your angling horizons. we build houses, freeways, parking lots, etc, etc, etc on top of wetlands in Calgary, an off leash area is the least of the concern from an urban park wetland perspective. I am all for wetlands, all for protection of riparian areas, but you know what they say about picking battles. I should add that the population has doubled or so since 20 years ago - kind of comes with the territory of a major urban setting.

No. Calgary has a distinct lack of off leash parks. If anything, I would like to see more. Dogs running around along the river are not making the banks unstable. Following that rationale, yourself as an angler would be contributing to bank instability. I don't live in Calgary, but I feel for dog owners as they have a right to have areas to take out their dogs and in Calgary off leash areas are very spread out. 99.9% of the Bow isn't along a designated offleash park, perhaps you need to broaden your angling horizons. we build houses, freeways, parking lots, etc, etc, etc on top of wetlands in Calgary, an off leash area is the least of the concern from an urban park wetland perspective. I am all for wetlands, all for protection of riparian areas, but you know what they say about picking battles. I should add that the population has doubled or so since 20 years ago - kind of comes with the territory of a major urban setting.

You sir, are talking out your bum. Virtually all the green space and most of the parks in the city are off leash. For example, ALL of the green space on the northern Bow river escarpment from Tuscany to Deerfoot and then all the way north on both sides of Deerfoot to the city limits is designated off leash. Playgrounds are, by contrast, nonexistent. Your right to take out your dogs ends where your dogs' existence begins to interfere with the rights of your fellow citizens. We are far, far past that already and have been for some time.

Remember, it's on leash within a meter of any pathway in and around any green space (and even within a designated off leash area)!!

You sir, are talking out your bum. Virtually all the green space and most of the parks in the city are off leash. For example, ALL of the green space on the northern Bow river escarpment from Tuscany to Deerfoot and then all the way north on both sides of Deerfoot to the city limits is designated off leash. Playgrounds are, by contrast, nonexistent. Your right to take out your dogs ends where your dogs' existence begins to interfere with the rights of your fellow citizens. We are far, far past that already and have been for some time.

Not trying to create a stir here but are there other guys/gals who feel the same way about off leash dogs along the river? 20 years ago, you might see an off leash dog out for a walk with someone once in a while, now it seems they are nearly everywhere. I get concerned with habitat damage in the Southland off leash area(I know the city has done a lot of work to control) but the amount of damage in areas where the dogs run up and down the banks is excessive. Another area I like to fish is down by the Pine Creek water treatment area. This is an unoffical off leash area. This area is now getting trampled to the point where the bank is becoming unstable in areas and the vegetation is becoming denuded (if thats a word!). I am all for off leash areas folks, I just get concerned with off leash areas in sensitive areas. I fully support off leash areas that are fenced and do not contain wetlands/sensitive areas. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I think the problem in the latter area is more a function of people, construction and development than dogs. Over a decade ago, there were just as many dogs there, and fewer of us, but there was also more difficult access. Now, there is easy access, and ample parking in that area, (yet people are so lazy, they not only drive and park as close to the bank as possible, they also drive up and down the bank). There has also been construction on and off in that area for a number of years, both of these causing infinitely more damage than a few dogs. That said, it's amazing how many people don't have the courtesy to pick up after their dogs.

.....I blame it on Facebook, Twitter, and handing out trophies for last place! <--poke--<

I think the problem in the latter area is more a function of people, construction and development than dogs. Over a decade ago, there were just as many dogs there, and fewer of us, but there was also more difficult access. Now, there is easy access, and ample parking in that area, (yet people are so lazy, they not only drive and park as close to the bank as possible, they also drive up and down the bank). There has also been construction on and off in that area for a number of years, both of these causing infinitely more damage than a few dogs. That said, it's amazing how many people don't have the courtesy to pick up after their dogs.

.....I blame it on Facebook, Twitter, and handing out trophies for last place! <--poke--<

Good point. :cheers:

Dogs running around along the river are not making the banks unstable.

Yeah they are, which is why there are now designated areas within southland park for swimming, and the fencing that has occurred to keep the dogs out of the natural areas.

Yeah they are, which is why there are now designated areas within southland park for swimming, and the fencing that has occurred to keep the dogs out of the natural areas.

Yes, good point and well intended. This area was far worse prior to fencing. Prob a good compromise in this situation.

From the City of Calgary website:

We just had a big discussion on our community's facebook page about this, lots of people think their dog can be off-leash almost anywhere, but that's not so according to the City's bylaws.

•All dogs must have and wear a City of Calgary licence as soon as they reach three months of age.

•All dogs must be on-leash at all times, unless posted signs indicate otherwise, or are in a securely fenced private yard.

•Dogs must be under control in designated offleash areas. This means they must be in sight of their owners and repond to sight or sound commands.

•Dog owners must ensure their dog does not:

◦Bite anyone

◦Injure anyone

◦Chase, threaten or attack a person or an animal

◦Bark, howl or disturb anyone

◦Cause damage to property or animals

◦Scatter garbage

•Dogs are not allowed in:

◦School grounds

◦Playgrounds

◦Sports fields

◦Golf courses

◦Cemeteries

◦Wading or swimming areas

•While on a pathway a dog must:

◦Be on a leash no longer than two metres.

◦Remain on the right hand side of the pathway.

◦Not interfere with or obstruct other users.​​

•Dogs may not be left unattended while tethered.

•You may not cycle, skateboard or in-line skate with a dog on a leash while on a pathway.

•Dogs may only be transported in the back of a truck if the dog is in a fully enclosed trailer, a truck bed covered with a topper, contained in a ventilated kennel that is secured to the truck bed, or securely tethered and not standing on bare metal.

•Dog owners must ensure that they bring along a suitable means to pick up feces.

•Dog owners must pick up all feces produces by their dog both on and off their property.