Fly Fusion Forums

Feathers

Lawrence

Okay I got a few to ask here so I'm going to go point form

In your opinion what would be the best feathers for wings?

Are there some feathers that hold together more better than others?

I just got a skin and wondering where should I be plucking my feathers from for the wings, shoulders??

I just got a golden pheasant skin and beofre I start butchering it is there some procedure to seperating different feathers from each other? eg. get to some of the more patterned feathers underneath the front feathers that are more one plain color.

The best feathers to use for the wings you refer to are duck wing feathers that are matched one left one right but not necessarily from the same bird.In essence you you a the left and the right wings from a duck/ducks.

As for your pheasant there is a recent issue of Flytyer magazine that actually has an article about which part of a pheasant is best for which parts pertaining to fly tying. It's in the Spring 2007 issue.

Brilliant! I'll think I'll have to pick that mag up.

Yeah marrying wings is what I was looking for. I'm going to have to pick some goose up, and I've been mounting wings with some spare turkey that I had kicking around for practice.

So far I like the look of the flies, just need a little more practice as some of the wing fibers are splaying out a bit

If you get hold of a complete dark starling skin you should be able to pluck matched left and right feathers from either wing. If you refer to Scotflys excellent step by step on selecting wing feathers and tying them in on the step by step section of ukflydressing .co.uk he has quite a unique talent for simplifying issues to the point that even I can follow them. P.S. Don't tell him that I told you beacuse I love to wind him up and tell him that his tying is absolute pants :P

Regards

Geoff