Fly Fusion Forums

Walk And Wade The Bow - 1st Week July

Hello everybody,

I will be in Calgary the first week of July. My in-laws live in the area of Fish Creek Park and Policeman’s Flats, so driving to either of them would be easy for me. Assuming that the river is fishable, I will be able to fish early mornings, right at sunrise, for a couple hours. Wading is my only option. Based on a quick research in this forum, looks like Fish Creek Park might be a good spot to walk and wade. Are there other spots that you might recommend? Are there trails along the river that connect different landings?

I was lucky to fish the Bow about 10 years ago, but it was a floating trip and I am clueless how to approach the river from a wading perspective. I live in Minnesota and fish small spring creeks and the Bow is quite intimidating.

As for flies, is this a good list for early morning outings?

• Hare’s Ear 12-16

• Copper John 12-18

• Prince 12-16

• Stones 6-10

• Streamers

Thanks in advance for any responses. Hope I can return the favor if you look for info in Minnesota or Wisconsin fishing some day.

Tight Lines

• 2 weeks later...

Bring streamers with you.

Hopefully the water drops a bit for your visit. Right now the river is not good for someone to search on the banks for spots. If we don't get any rain between now and next week the level should drop enough that you could fish. Be careful of the banks some are collapsing, and don't bother wading there is a lot of debris moving in the water, stay on the shore.

Greg

Thanks for the tips. Although not my strength, I am bringing streamers and crossing my fingers that the river is fishable early next week. I will probably get the 5 day license starting on Monday. Gracias DonGregorio

Thanks for the tips. Although not my strength, I am bringing streamers and crossing my fingers that the river is fishable early next week. I will probably get the 5 day license starting on Monday. Gracias DonGregorio

if you're around on the weekend at all, I live right there as well and would be happy to take you out to a few spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the posts and PMs, especially the offers to take me out fishing.

Unfortunately, the bow was quite high during the week!

I fished this spot Monday morning without any luck... Really nice, but just too high for me.

IMG_0516.jpg

I decided to fish the Crow on Wednesday and Saturday. 400 km both ways for a couple hours of fishing, but it was worth it. Beatiful area.

IMG_8477.jpg

IMG_8483.jpg

IMG_8484.jpg

Anyway, looking forward to my next trip to Calgary.

Tight lines and good luck the rest of the summer

Alex