Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro River Anchor??

Guest Grinr
Well,

First off Pops I'm not your son, my dad isn't a retard.

Second you should start contacting every drift boat manufacturer and explain to them that your backwards thinking has led you to believe that they are all doing it wrong, not just us Bow R. "experts" and how your time on the water, albeit not our western waters gives you the experience that defies what their nautical engineers tell them is correct. Heck you could maybe find yourself in a new job old timer.

Third, dig yourself out of the rock you have been living under and find a copy of Drift boats and River Dories, you can read for yourself that stern mounted anchors have been in use in western river boats for over a hundred years.

For future perhaps comment on what you know, I don't comment on how to loose your fishing job and collect EI for the next 10 years.... I'll leave that to you dumb Maritimers

Well riddle me this smartazz,if yer nautical engineers are so smart,why is that even your hero Tungsten concedes that anchoring from the stern will get you in trouble?Maybe YOU should stick to talking about what you know Riverboy,and leave the boat talk to those that have lived it....Deadliest Catch ain't got jack on me clown,so anytime you think you can fill my

boots for a day on a real boat yer welcome to have ater,but I suspect you'll be no different than so many other "tough guys" that I've seen turning green and crying for their mama before we get an hour out from the wharf,lol.

Haha ok so this got a little heated and yeah I didn't mean to stir the pot asking about anchor chains just thought there might be a few guys out there who use them. I guess I'll just give it a try and see how it works and if it doesn't work as good as my old Hyde issued anchor did then I'll pick up a new anchor.

Fine then,drift boat or otherwise,my question is why not mount your anchor pulley to the bow,keep yourself outta the inherent trouble that comes from doing things bass-ackwards anchoring stern-to the current and be done with it instead of trying to re-invent the wheel?I too made a living on the water for 20+ yrs and run everything from square stern river canoes to skiffs and dories to 65' scallopers and every size lobster boat in between,and NEVER in my life have I seen ANYBODY(with the exception of Bow R. "experts")foolish enough to anchor stern to the current,tide,or wind?Yes by,I might be just another dumb Maritimer me,but me tinks me knows a ting er two bout boats me son.Hell,most you lads doneven knows how to row proper FFS,ye sits facin' the wrong way and rows backwards den drops anchor stern to......Lard Jeezis is no wander mar a yas flatlanders doesnt gets swamped and drowneded??

Really? Come on! Really? Your BSing right?

Guest Grinr
Ya I guess not a big deal to do a 180˚ spin whenever you want to anchor...

Right you are Ken,not a big deal at all if you have the first clue about handling a rowboat......orrrrr....you could always row facing the stern like God intended with power and control drifting stern first......orrrrrr...if you insist on rowing bass backwards like a retard simply drop anchor from the bow and she'll swing around all on her own,duhh....it ain't rocket appliance Ricky.

Guest Grinr
shiz , god dame you jay , made me spill my morning coffee all over my keyboard with that reply ,

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAhaha!!!

Yea ,that was freakn hilarious!

Jay's father might not be a retard,but I'll bet if his mother divorced him she'd still be his sister,yes?

Guest Wrecker
Right you are Ken,not a big deal at all if you have the first clue about handling a rowboat......orrrrr....you could always row facing the stern like God intended with power and control drifting stern first......orrrrrr...if you insist on rowing bass backwards like a retard simply drop anchor from the bow and she'll swing around all on her own,duhh....it ain't rocket appliance Ricky.

Have you ever been in a drift boat? Notice from bow to stern they have continuous rocker? (front to back of dah boat it'd be curvie, nat flat..)

This is the reason why you can anchor from the stern as easily, and as safely as from the bow, except without the 180˚spin whenever you want to anchor...

Guest Grinr
Have you ever been in a drift boat? Notice from bow to stern they have continuous rocker? (front to back of dah boat it'd be curvie, nat flat..)

This is the reason why you can anchor from the stern as easily, and as safely as from the bow, except without the 180˚spin whenever you want to anchor...

I assumed the same thing when I noticed most driftboats having stern mounted anchors,and at a glance they look like they are designed that way,but not according to your resident expert Tungsten,they swing back and forth and get you into trouble.....maybe you have them confused with canoes?Canoes are those long narrow boats that are the same at both ends FYI.

Guest Wrecker
I assumed the same thing when I noticed most driftboats having stern mounted anchors,and at a glance they look like they are designed that way,but not according to your resident expert Tungsten,they swing back and forth and get you into trouble.....maybe you have them confused with canoes?Canoes are those long narrow boats that are the same at both ends FYI.

If yer out fishing and you see a blue and white hyde float by flag me down. I keep a 5 pin bowling ball under the seat for just these types of run-ins, I'd love to overhand it into yer junk...

Fine then,drift boat or otherwise,my question is why not mount your anchor pulley to the bow,keep yourself outta the inherent trouble that comes from doing things bass-ackwards anchoring stern-to the current and be done with it instead of trying to re-invent the wheel?I too made a living on the water for 20+ yrs and run everything from square stern river canoes to skiffs and dories to 65' scallopers and every size lobster boat in between,and NEVER in my life have I seen ANYBODY(with the exception of Bow R. "experts")foolish enough to anchor stern to the current,tide,or wind?Yes by,I might be just another dumb Maritimer me,but me tinks me knows a ting er two bout boats me son.Hell,most you lads doneven knows how to row proper FFS,ye sits facin' the wrong way and rows backwards den drops anchor stern to......Lard Jeezis is no wander mar a yas flatlanders doesnt gets swamped and drowneded??

Remind me to stay the hell out of your boat.

Doing a 180 every time you anchor up. BRILLIANT, especially in narrow or fast water just what you want to do is put your sides to the current. Not only are you going to swamp your boat, your going to dump your passengers if they are standing up. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Probably not an issue for you because after people read this you'll be fishing alone.

If you were able to read, Tungsten mentioned you will sway of you have too much rope out. Dont assume to know more than a guy who has actually done it.

You go boy, fill yer boots.

Andrew