Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers Caught

I posted this yesterday in the Bow River Reports thread. Decided to move it to here to increase visibility:

Since I couldn't fish, I was forced into a walk with the wife (joking honey!). On our walk, I noticed a guy bait fishing the high water. Waited until I was past a bit and called RAP. Got called back for more detailed directions. We continued our walk, and on the way back saw poacher #2 about 20 meters upstream from #1. Called RAP back and told them about #2. We have to leave to go get our daughter, but as I'm leaving, two more guys show up, both with pickerel rigs on two rods each. I wanted to follow them, but I really had to leave. I see the CO on my way out and stop and talk to her, telling her about the two additional guys. She calls me back a couple of hours later, she got the first two but could not find the second two. That's ok, I'll get them next time. This area has been getting poached pretty regularly. I think troutlover caught a couple last week as well.

Anyway, keep an eye out. High water ain't stoppin' em.

On a side note, I did talk to the CO about maybe putting up a sign, even said I could do it myself. She said they have tried that in the past, but they just get torn down almost immediately, or defaced/vandalized. So she did not recommend it.

I also want to give a shout out to the COs here in the southeast. This is the second time I've called, both times in the evening. And both times someone was there within 30 minutes. Excellent work!

I posted this yesterday in the Bow River Reports thread. Decided to move it to here to increase visibility:

Since I couldn't fish, I was forced into a walk with the wife (joking honey!). On our walk, I noticed a guy bait fishing the high water. Waited until I was past a bit and called RAP. Got called back for more detailed directions. We continued our walk, and on the way back saw poacher #2 about 20 meters upstream from #1. Called RAP back and told them about #2. We have to leave to go get our daughter, but as I'm leaving, two more guys show up, both with pickerel rigs on two rods each. I wanted to follow them, but I really had to leave. I see the CO on my way out and stop and talk to her, telling her about the two additional guys. She calls me back a couple of hours later, she got the first two but could not find the second two. That's ok, I'll get them next time. This area has been getting poached pretty regularly. I think troutlover caught a couple last week as well.

Anyway, keep an eye out. High water ain't stoppin' em.

On a side note, I did talk to the CO about maybe putting up a sign, even said I could do it myself. She said they have tried that in the past, but they just get torn down almost immediately, or defaced/vandalized. So she did not recommend it.

I also want to give a shout out to the COs here in the southeast. This is the second time I've called, both times in the evening. And both times someone was there within 30 minutes. Excellent work!

good on ya rick , glad they caught them , i called the other day when i was on the river , watched them below police , 3 guys and a kid , and at last the co called me back on my cell and said sorry he just couldn't get there , everyone should call them in

Guest Dust1n

I got 2 poachers by Glenmore they were using Y-sticks to hold there rod there so I asked them what there using and they said spoons and there catching pike, I waited around till the pulled up their lines and they had P-Rigs with worms or large leeches (hard to tell from where i was at). I called Rap but they didn't call me back to give me the details. The location was just upstream from the gold course.

Guest Sundancefisher

Good job. If only we could fine them enough to cover the cost of the fish cops. More poachers...more revenue...more policing.