Fly Fusion Forums

Portable Fish Finder

I was going to possibly do some lake fishing this summer and into the fall and was pondering the thought of getting a portable fish finder for

my Fish Cat 10-IR Standup.

Does anyone have one on there pontoon boat and if so what's the best way to set it up and what's a decent portable fish finder that will get the

job done and not break the bank?

Cheers.

Dont worry about getting a portable unit just get the finder that has the options/features you want and go to any battery store and get a 12volt 4amp gellcell battery.

I already have a marine battery and electric motor so I want something small and portable. I don't have alot of room left on my boat for extra batteries etc.

I already have a marine battery and electric motor so I want something small and portable. I don't have alot of room left on my boat for extra batteries etc.

hummingbird makes a portable one that does the job, the read out is a watch type doohickie and you basically just drag the finder behind you and it gives you a readout on your wrist! its worked alright for me, its portability is unmatched if your looking for something simple.!

Cheers

I use a piranamax 150 portable (now the 230), and just use a webbing strap around the pontoon to hold the unit in place as well as the transducer, works well, even use it on my FishCat V boat.

Colin

Please tell me the benefits of having the fish finder (honest question). Do you catch more fish with it? Would you ever go back to fishing without one?

yes, it works. you catch more fish with it. I will never go without one on the lake. I found the most useful feature is the depth scan... other things are just addons.

Please tell me the benefits of having the fish finder (honest question). Do you catch more fish with it? Would you ever go back to fishing without one?

What I would like to know is the depth that fish are holding in lake. That way I know how far down to get at them instead of wasting my day trying to figure it out by trial and error. That will also dictate on what type of setup I'll decide to use. It'd also be nice to find out where the drop offs are in lake and that way you can anchor on them.

Wouldn't leave shore without one. In addition to wanting to know the depth, I prefer fishing in spots where I see a screen like this.

2367.jpg

I'm not sure it's worth paying the premium for a portable, since it is a simple matter to set up a regular model sonar on a pontoon boat.

These gel cell batteries are tiny 3"x2"x2", barely bigger than a pack of cigarettes, and they're rechargable and cost <$20 each. Just stuff one in your sidebag and forgetaboutit :rolleyes: they should last you 8 hrs or so on a single charge.

2006_01_28_IMG_1202.jpg

Terry, I'll be right there on June 21. Please have the fish waiting with their mouths ready.

I'll send you the coordinates.

All you guys probably throat pump too....bunch of cheaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. Although I have a pump, and have tried it the odd time without much success, I usually feel that I've harassed the fish enough by the time I get it in the net, and I just want to let it go.

Wouldn't leave shore without one. In addition to wanting to know the depth, I prefer fishing in spots where I see a screen like this.

2367.jpg

I'm not sure it's worth paying the premium for a portable, since it is a simple matter to set up a regular model sonar on a pontoon boat.

How did you mount the unit and the transponder to your toon????

How did you mount the unit and the transponder to your toon????

Have a look at this thread:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...p;hl=transducer

The photos on the above link are my old pontoon. I have a different system for holding the sonar head on my new toon -- as shown below. The wood base is bolted on the frame with a U-bolt. The sonar head is removable for storage in the saddle bag, along with the transducer and gell cell battery. Terry

3933.jpg

3935.jpg