Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Help

jojobiker1

for right now start stocking up on golden stones... brown, black, olive and yellowish chennile rubber legged stones work well. Grab a couple of dry fly stoneflies as well. Size #4-6 usually works for me.

other good flies to have in your bag right now,

#14-16 elk hair caddis, brown body

#14-16 hare's ear nymphs

#14-16 caddis emerger (fish them through risers on a downstream swing if you cant get them to take a dry)

Leeches, san juan worms, bow river buggers, pheasant tails, a bag of split shot and some strike indicators and you are all set to start getting into the fish.

I fish Edworthy park a lot, and I agree that it can be tough. Its better below Bonnybrook. But if you are going to fish up there, I recommend Elk caddis 14-16, pmd 14-16, and some stonefly nymphs. Also, lower your expectations, because there are less fish than the lower Bow, and the ones you catch are significantly smaller, as well.

Hey Jonah

It was good to meet you on the river last night. Listen to the guys above, lots of good choices there.

Also keep working on that drag free drift I was telling you about.

Good luck, if you see me at edworthy come say hi and I'll help you out.

J