Fly Fusion Forums

Crossing Back From Us To Canada With Drift Boat And Trailer?

I'm looking at picking up a drift boat and trailer down in the States. Anyone know what I will need to do to bring it back across to Canada? I expect I will need two bill of sales for the boat and trailer but aside from that I am clueless. Some things I have read online say I need to pay tax, some say I will have to pay duty? I've also heard you need to have the trailer registered soon as it crosses the border?

Anyhow just looking for some helpful info so I know what to expect before I make the trip to buy a boat. Also if anyone knows whether or not it makes a difference if the boat is new or used that would be helpful as well.

Hey Curtis

Is this a new or pre owned boat?! From a private individual or business?! I've read that Hyde, Clack, etc., will take care of that as they know the drill.

P

I'm looking at picking up a drift boat and trailer down in the States. Anyone know what I will need to do to bring it back across to Canada? I expect I will need two bill of sales for the boat and trailer but aside from that I am clueless. Some things I have read online say I need to pay tax, some say I will have to pay duty? I've also heard you need to have the trailer registered soon as it crosses the border?

Anyhow just looking for some helpful info so I know what to expect before I make the trip to buy a boat. Also if anyone knows whether or not it makes a difference if the boat is new or used that would be helpful as well.

Hey Curtis

Is this a new or pre owned boat?! From a private individual or business?! I've read that Hyde, Clack, etc., will take care of that as they know the drill.

P

Looking at a couple and haven't decided. Not buying a Clack or a Hyde though. I Would like to get into a Lavro but the newer models are hard to come by used so I might buy new direct from Lavro.

the best way to avoid any burps is to hire a broker who deals in marine vehicles who will know all the ins and outs, and will provide you will ALL necessary paperwork for crossing.

I cant imagine it is that complicated of an affair. Would you hire a broker in Canada or the U.S? Every boat in Calgary to my knowledge came from the States at some point. I'm not aware of any local manufacturers? Might be something to consider though thanks for the advice.

very easy and simple to do bud , have done it myself ,

1 make sure you have 2 copys of the bill of sale and make sure the serial number is on the bill of sale for the boat and the trailer , and double make sure they all match

2 at the border they will want the 5 % gst on what you paid for the outfit , don't even think about having a bill of sale done up lower as if they find out , your really screwed , not worth it as you'll save very little

3 you will get paper work at the border canadian custom that will want you to have the trailer inspected , it cost about $199 i think , it is done at canadian tire , i think you have like 30 or 45 days to have it checked out , if you don't have it done then you can't registered the trailer , simple as they just check the lights and make sure it's wired correctly

it's easy and as long as your honest at the border , they won't rake you over , or the other easy way is have a broker do it all , if you decide to go that route , email or call me and i'll give you the one i have used for other big items , cost a little more but then you just kinda show up with you outfit and they know everything is pretty well checked out

NO NEED FOR A BROKER !!!!

Waste of money in my opinion. Great excuse for a road trip although I don't think the savings will be huge on a $6000 - $8000 drift boat.

I would think all of the drift boat manufacturers have sold boats to Canadians. Have THEM do the paper work. They will send the required paperwork to Customs 3 days before you cross the line. If they won't, buy a boat from another company.

GST paid at border and a 5 minute check at Canadian tire regarding tire size and vehicle comlpliance stamp and you're on your way. Go to the RIV site and it will tell you all you need to know.

yes if your buying a brand spanking new outfit , for sure have the dealer send it to customs, but i would hand carry the orig in case they get lost at customs , hate to see ya show up and they say sorry we never got any paper work ,

on a used boat , make sure you have 2 copies and follow the RIV Instuction to a T

Hi EMT, it is really easy to do, as Dutchie said. You will expect to pay the tax on the items. If the boat and trailer are manufactured in North America, you will not pay duty...but if manufactured elsewhere, expect to pay duty.

If it is a brand new rig, I don't believe you will need to have the inspection done in order to register it, but I could be wrong.

Even on a 6000-8000 dollar rig, the savings can be up to $1000 even accounting for the cost of your trip. There are some smokin' deals to be had on craigslist anywhere in the northwest along the coast, tons of boats out there.

Good luck

Do drift boats have serial numbers? I've looked everywhere on my Hyde and can't find one.

yes ,

look at your boats back end up near the top on right side , should be stamped into it , the ones i'v had were

Yes, my Clack has a serial # also. If you are going to travel back & forth across the border with your boat there is one thing I'd like to add, I bought mine from the US second hand & even though I had no issues with the intial time bringing it across the border, the times since has caused me to carry my original paper work with me everytime I cross the border coming back. I pull the boat a couple of times a year to Montana & have had to pull into the big grey building once to prove I wasnt smuggling the boat across even though I had the boat for a couple of years.

Enjoy

Dutchie's advice mirrors my own experience in bringing a driftboat up from the U.S. I would add a couple of points:

--if you can find out the serial number of the boat and trailer you're going to buy before you go, you can get fire/theft, etc. insurance for it before you leave, and even without the serial numbers, you can get a binder letter from your insurance agent

--you should indeed insist that the boat dealer fill out as much of the paperwork as they can to speed up the border crossing

--if you're getting the boat in Idaho or Montana, consider crossing at a less travelled border crossing, such as Peigan/Carway south of Cardston. It's much less busy than the freeway crossing at Sweetgrass and should be faster

--in addition to the Canadian Tire inspection, the trailer (or boat, I can't remember which) must be federally registered with the Registry of Imported Vehicles, after you cross into Canada. This can be done on-line and I think costs about $100. After I brought my boat home somebody told me I could have insisted that Customs do this for me. In my case, the agent told me I had to do this on my own

My personal experience is that the savings from buying in the U.S. were more than merely considerable and ran into the thousands. Also, if you buy from the factory it's easier to customize and upgrade, e.g., galvanized trailer, higher-end oars, etc.

Lastly, you can turn it into a fishing trip in its own right. In our case we bought the Clackacraft in Idaho Falls, had the maiden voyage on the Henry's Fork, then fished the Missouri and made it home the same night as our last fishing day.

Good luck with it!