Fly Fusion Forums

A Little Medical Advice Please

My guess would be Arkansas, or maybe Oklahoma!

There was a story several years ago of some guys in Kentucky re-enacting William Tell. Billy Bob puts a beer can (big surprise beer was involved) on Jethro's head and takes a shot. Unfortunately for Jethro, a little low. Jethro goes to the emergency room with the arrow in the melon. If I remember correctly, target boy survived and the guys were both on Letterman. Maybe that part is just wishful thinking.

If what I hear is anything to go by, he looks like a typical red neck!

OK, here is the horror story that you all dread involving a size 12 Whisky Fly as it happened to me one fine day.

We were out on a Club outing to fish one of the rounds for club championship points at a smallish local loch called Portmore in the Borders area of Scotland, where else would you get lochs?

We had teamed up with partners on a heavily misted morning with poor visibility but with the prospect of some sun later to burn it off. Into the boats and row about 25 yds from the docking area and start fishing. First cast produced a strong follow with the fish turning away at the last minute on the dangle. My glasses had misted up with the mist so I took them off and put them on the boat seat momentarily and I swung my rod to represent the flies to the fish. A gust of wind hit the cast and I felt a sting at the side of my eye, I have had hooks near there before and thought nothing of it. I turned to my boat partner and asked him to pull out the hook. "I can't, it is in your eye" "I know it is, pull it out" "No! It is IN your eye". I felt nothing at the time apart from a little discomfort and did not think it was that bad.

The boat was rowed to the shore and one of the other members who was not competing for the championship took me down to the local cottage hiospital and left me there.

Examined by the doctor and informed that he could do nothing about it and that I would have to go to the eye pavilion in Edinburgh. "Can you drive?" " Er, no! My car is at the fishery" "OK, we will get you an ambulance"

The incident happened at 10:15 AM, I was at the cottage hospital at 11:00AM, the ambulance came at 12:30PM, I arrived at the casualty (ER) department of the Royal Infirmary about 14:00PM and queued up for examination.

The bloke in front of me asked over his shoulder what was I there for without looking at me. "I have a fishing fly in my eye" says I. He turned around took one look and turned back again "For f*ck's sake!" Does it hurt?" "Not really, it just irritates like hell from the feathers". "Jesus!" says he.

I got to the head of the queue and the admissions nurse took one look at me, " We can't treat that here, you will have to go to the Eye Pavilion, do you know how to get there walking?" "Er, no" "OK, wait there we will get you a taxi".

One taxi ride later I am at the admissions desk of the Eye Pavilion and am ushered into a consultation room where the doctor says "We will need to get that out of there for you". Great idea thought I.

Sent back to a waiting room where I sat for a further 2 hours before they informed me that they had managed to get hold of an anesthetist and that I would be admitted to surgery in 15 mins. "Would you change into this please?" and got handed the usual backless hospital gown. All this time I was wearing full wax proof clothing and Hunter wellies. So from 10:15 in the morning until what is now 18:30 I have been knocking around with a fly in my eye, irritating as hell and no anaesthetic to dull the pain.

I wake up about 20:00 with a huge bandage and pad over my left eye and am told that I have to stay here for a few days as they do not want to risk dislodging the stitches in my eye. I had received 11 stitches in total, 5 sub-surface and 6 surface in my eyeball. I also managed to avoid a lens transplant as there was a possibility that the damage might be too severe.

Off work for 6 weeks, attending the Eye Pavilion twice a week for progress checks etc until I eventually get the stitches out of the surface which were more irritating that the bloody fly!

Ever tried riding a bicycle with one eye? Even more difficult casting with one eye also! Missed a seatrout on the top pool of the Duke of Sutherland's beat because of that!

SO, now I never fish without glasses and hopefully this will encourage those who don't to do so!

If what I hear is anything to go by, he looks like a typical red neck!

OK, here is the horror story that you all dread involving a size 12 Whisky Fly as it happened to me one fine day.

We were out on a Club outing to fish one of the rounds for club championship points at a smallish local loch called Portmore in the Borders area of Scotland, where else would you get lochs?

We had teamed up with partners on a heavily misted morning with poor visibility but with the prospect of some sun later to burn it off. Into the boats and row about 25 yds from the docking area and start fishing. First cast produced a strong follow with the fish turning away at the last minute on the dangle. My glasses had misted up with the mist so I took them off and put them on the boat seat momentarily and I swung my rod to represent the flies to the fish. A gust of wind hit the cast and I felt a sting at the side of my eye, I have had hooks near there before and thought nothing of it. I turned to my boat partner and asked him to pull out the hook. "I can't, it is in your eye" "I know it is, pull it out" "No! It is IN your eye". I felt nothing at the time apart from a little discomfort and did not think it was that bad.

The boat was rowed to the shore and one of the other members who was not competing for the championship took me down to the local cottage hiospital and left me there.

Examined by the doctor and informed that he could do nothing about it and that I would have to go to the eye pavilion in Edinburgh. "Can you drive?" " Er, no! My car is at the fishery" "OK, we will get you an ambulance"

The incident happened at 10:15 AM, I was at the cottage hospital at 11:00AM, the ambulance came at 12:30PM, I arrived at the casualty (ER) department of the Royal Infirmary about 14:00PM and queued up for examination.

The bloke in front of me asked over his shoulder what was I there for without looking at me. "I have a fishing fly in my eye" says I. He turned around took one look and turned back again "For f*ck's sake!" Does it hurt?" "Not really, it just irritates like hell from the feathers". "Jesus!" says he.

I got to the head of the queue and the admissions nurse took one look at me, " We can't treat that here, you will have to go to the Eye Pavilion, do you know how to get there walking?" "Er, no" "OK, wait there we will get you a taxi".

One taxi ride later I am at the admissions desk of the Eye Pavilion and am ushered into a consultation room where the doctor says "We will need to get that out of there for you". Great idea thought I.

Sent back to a waiting room where I sat for a further 2 hours before they informed me that they had managed to get hold of an anesthetist and that I would be admitted to surgery in 15 mins. "Would you change into this please?" and got handed the usual backless hospital gown. All this time I was wearing full wax proof clothing and Hunter wellies. So from 10:15 in the morning until what is now 18:30 I have been knocking around with a fly in my eye, irritating as hell and no anaesthetic to dull the pain.

I wake up about 20:00 with a huge bandage and pad over my left eye and am told that I have to stay here for a few days as they do not want to risk dislodging the stitches in my eye. I had received 11 stitches in total, 5 sub-surface and 6 surface in my eyeball. I also managed to avoid a lens transplant as there was a possibility that the damage might be too severe.

Off work for 6 weeks, attending the Eye Pavilion twice a week for progress checks etc until I eventually get the stitches out of the surface which were more irritating that the bloody fly!

Ever tried riding a bicycle with one eye? Even more difficult casting with one eye also! Missed a seatrout on the top pool of the Duke of Sutherland's beat because of that!

SO, now I never fish without glasses and hopefully this will encourage those who don't to do so!

OK there a16. (a followed by 16 letters. Too hard to type otherwise). You win the best hook in a body part contest! Funny, horrifying, and well told.

Also, so you know, I'm pretty much a redneck. Born and raised in South Redneckland. So don't talk bad about us.

great story AL. ouch. that is sooooo wrong. i can just picture you with this pin with feathers sticking out of your face. but at least you had 6 weeks off and got to go fishing, even if you missed the fish

and here i was going to mention that i had hooked my ear due to the wind earlier this year. not much of a story after that, even if it was a 2/0 pike streamer

The best way to remove a fish-hook from your body is to have a very small pair of Wire Snips in a pouch on your wader belt. When you hook your self you squeese the skin very tight for about 30 secs, then push the hook point and barb through the skin and cut off the point behind the barb and slide the hook back out of the skin. Hopefully you have a fishing buddy with you for those awkward places. Very painless if you don't look. Beleive me it works!!!!!!!!!!