Fly Fusion Forums

Pondering A Pontoon Boat

I'm starting to look into purchasing a pontoon boat mainly for floating the Bow and Red Deer rivers. I'm not sure of which ones are best quality for the money, I'm looking to stay under $500 and was looking at a used Classic Accessories Colorado XT and read some mixed reviews on it. Should I look at getting one I could mount a motor on and being a beginner are there things that would be more helpful as I'll be learning to row and fish and anchor etc. for the first time? Also, can you take these things on rivers like the highwood or old man?

Appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Thanks.

Brett

Guest NamasteMushroom
I'm starting to look into purchasing a pontoon boat mainly for floating the Bow and Red Deer rivers. I'm not sure of which ones are best quality for the money, I'm looking to stay under $500 and was looking at a used Classic Accessories Colorado XT and read some mixed reviews on it. Should I look at getting one I could mount a motor on and being a beginner are there things that would be more helpful as I'll be learning to row and fish and anchor etc. for the first time? Also, can you take these things on rivers like the highwood or old man?

Appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Thanks.

Brett

Waste of time- go with a jet.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

meh, i have one and in the end i wish i got a fish cat. Its a good boat, nothing wrong with it and no reason i would sell it. lots of storage, good versatile setup of side bags stripping basket that can be moved.

I put a motor on mine and had a tone of fun with it on the lake

i dont think i would take this on the hwood or om, if you get a tear on a sharp rock you will be a long way from home. But the RD,SK,BOW are all great for this boat.

get an anchor for the river or you will be pulled out of spots you want to fish.

very stable boat when i got where i want to go or am trolling slowly i usually stand up on the seat for a better cast. The wheel is a great help if you get blown to the far end of a prairie lake and need to walk back....grumble...

The things i dont like are:

plastic bit at the oar lock

oar stops on these are CRAP at best, must figure out better way to stop them from sliding.

Yeah there was a post on here a while ago regarding that... Not sure if it was pulled b/c of sponsorship issues, etc. Though no sponsored shops (or any fishing related shop) rents pontoons... There is a place that rents pontoons but that's all I got! Sorry! Hopefully someone will chime in that knows or PMs you directly...

P

Does anyone know any place where someone could rent a pontoon boat for a day? I would try one before actually buying one.

meh, i have one and in the end i wish i got a fish cat. Its a good boat, nothing wrong with it and no reason i would sell it. lots of storage, good versatile setup of side bags stripping basket that can be moved.

I put a motor on mine and had a tone of fun with it on the lake

i dont think i would take this on the hwood or om, if you get a tear on a sharp rock you will be a long way from home. But the RD,SK,BOW are all great for this boat.

get an anchor for the river or you will be pulled out of spots you want to fish.

very stable boat when i got where i want to go or am trolling slowly i usually stand up on the seat for a better cast. The wheel is a great help if you get blown to the far end of a prairie lake and need to walk back....grumble...

The things i dont like are:

plastic bit at the oar lock

oar stops on these are CRAP at best, must figure out better way to stop them from sliding.

Thanks for the info. So best to just spend the extra for a fish cat 9 or fish cat streamer XL-IR. Better quality or features or maneuverability?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

meh, if you have the extra cash i would but if not it is a fine boat that needs better oar stops (and that can be solved for under $30)

I was looking at the Colorado and fish cat 9-ir.

Ended up getting the fishcat after some advice and love it so far.

Advice was that the Colorado is better suited for lakes, due to the aforementioned concerns from rocks, snags or trees.

I bought a fish cat last year and used it many times on lakes. It works awesome. Super stable and tracks through the water very well.

Last week I finally busted it out on the bow and I must say I was a little nervous at first but after about 10 minutes of rowing and figuring out how the boat fairs in moving water I was extremely satisfied. Took it over some rapids and it was super stable. Had no issues spinning in circles on purpose after the high wood when we were just floating down and not fishing.

I do recommend the oar rights. Best purchase. Keeps your oars in the right position and great if you want to make quick movements if your not paying attention and too focused on your indi!

I have no experience with any other toons but this one is awesome and I can't wait to get out on it again!

Also it breaks down and fits in the back of a car if needed.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll keep my eye open for good deal on a fish cat for sale since I'm in no rush right now. Those that pm'd me I will get back to you when I have more than 1 minute to check this forum.

The biggest or most important question you need to ask yourself prior to purchasing a pontoon is where do you want or will fish the most.

ie: lakes, ponds, canals, rivers

1 man pontoons are available in sizes from 7' to 11' long with just about every option you could think of.

When it comes to boats/floats is there is always a plus and minus when adding options. Adding them will change the characteristics of the said boat/float. If you want to add a electric motor a 8' pontoon is not the best one to have, not saying it can't be done. A person can float the Bow on a Lada inner tube but I would not even if it was free.

Here's a small list of options that you might consider:

Front electric steer capabilities

Stand ups - flip back thigh bars

- under seat pull out floor

- high rise swivel seat

White water capacities

Big carrying capacity for island camp outs

Dual air chambers

I have a outcast pac 1200 pro series. Its a amazing boat for two people and any application. we fish lakes every once and a while and strap a electric to it no prob. but mainly use it for the bow. what i like about it is you can drag the thing down the highway have both the pontoons explode and outcast will replace or repair them for a very resonable fee. very good boats if you have a short attention span like me who tends to bounce the thing off rocks all the time. seems to be indestructable.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

JustFloatin makes a great point, thats why i say save the extra money and get the FCat! From the standing platform for lakes to the couple 100 lb capacity makes it great for multi day trips. just a great boat all around

The biggest or most important question you need to ask yourself prior to purchasing a pontoon is where do you want or will fish the most.

ie: lakes, ponds, canals, rivers

1 man pontoons are available in sizes from 7' to 11' long with just about every option you could think of.

When it comes to boats/floats is there is always a plus and minus when adding options. Adding them will change the characteristics of the said boat/float. If you want to add a electric motor a 8' pontoon is not the best one to have, not saying it can't be done. A person can float the Bow on a Lada inner tube but I would not even if it was free.

Here's a small list of options that you might consider:

Front electric steer capabilities

Stand ups - flip back thigh bars

- under seat pull out floor

- high rise swivel seat

White water capacities

Big carrying capacity for island camp outs

Dual air chambers

I hadn't thought of all those options. Are they standard brand names and what is the extra price point I'm looking at. I mainly plan to fish the bow on 1/2 and full day trips, would like to do do a 2 day island stay but probably not in the near future. My experience with lake fishing is very limited but would like the option to expand into fishing lakes more in the future.

420FLYFISHIN, are you referring to the Fish Cat 9 model?

If the Bow will be the majority of your fishing I would suggest the minimum size would be a 9 footer.

If you want a long, long lasting trouble free pontoon I would only consider an Outcast Pac series or Buck's Bags Bronco series. These are expensive but will last, I have yet to hear of one wearing out or going rotten.

Fish cat is a pontoon which is made by Outcast but of lower quality compared to the above.

Will still last but not near as long, the bladders are vinyl not urethane like the above. The pontoon case material used is thinner than the above.

If you think you will want to add a motor and other assorted accessories I would look at a 10 footer. ( accessories of that sort can be installed on a smaller size pontoons quite easily but it makes for tippy situations).

If you want a stand up model I would suggest an 11 footer which can accommodate all the toys you want and some.

A 11 foot pontoon can also be used on a class 4 river.

You can purchase a smaller pontoon, less expensive and yes go down the Bow but it all comes down to being safe and enjoying your pontoon without worring what the next ripple or rock might do to your pontoon.

Kijiji is full of them but you rarely see a big high quality made pontoon for sale. If you do it is sells quickly.

There is little difference in overall frame size whether it is for a 8' or 11 foot pontoon. Just a big difference in metal used and weight and set ups.

Used Lada inner tube $5.00

Top line big boat with goodies $1600