Fly Fusion Forums

Streamers..trouble With Fish Skulls

gaveryco

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tied with fish skulls and if so have you had any problems with them? Ive been tying a few articulated minnow patterns (bottom pic whitefish=grey/white) with them. When I tested them out they roll over onto their sides instead of riding true(hook point down) in the water. From my understanding the fish skulls should eliminate the problem, having 70% of mass below hook shank, hence why I paid $ for them lol. I am curious if its something in the construction of the fly that may be altering the mechanics of it...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The other pics are circus peanuts in various colours.

Geordon

post-4215-1334339390.jpg

post-4215-1334339486.jpg

post-4215-1334339503.jpg

its not the skully its the materials.. either your materials are are off centre or you have too much on top or bottom... i find some flies if i get to much material underneithe and not enough on top the buoyance of the material makes the fly flip the wrong way... try pulling out some marabout too get equal mass top and bottom and at the same time making it centred.. probably have too much marabout leaning left or right typically the direction in with u wrap your thread causing everything to shift away from you.. hope that helps!

Used a ton of fish skulls, never had a streamer ride upside down. Can't tell by your pic but where the weight is centered in the skull is quite obvious when you look from the back. The first pic is shown sitting properly in relation to hook bend. Phone pics obviously lacking quality, hope this helps.

1334426399.jpg

1334426329.jpg

Used a ton of fish skulls, never had a streamer ride upside down. Can't tell by your pic but where the weight is centered in the skull is quite obvious when you look from the back. The first pic is shown sitting properly in relation to hook bend. Phone pics obviously lacking quality, hope this helps.

1334426399.jpg

1334426329.jpg

Thanks man. I have them oriented properly, and they dont ride upside down, they just flop over onto their sides... I removed some of the marabou like max suggested and I'll see how that goes. Thanks for you help.

• 2 weeks later...