Fly Fusion Forums

Quick Question

fisher26

I'm going to utilize the immense body of knowledge on this board again. Just a quick question, I use to have a finger trap type thing between the leader and fly line and it broke (thank god I didn’t have a fish on). So I decided to tie a loop (like a leader loop) into my fly line so I can make the loop to loop connection quickly.

Is this ok? Or is it bad for my fly line or the energy transfer between line and leader?

(It's a pretty small un-bulky knot)

Thanks to all those who answer :) (It would be nice to know soon as I'm heading out early tomorrow)

I like to tie on a 10" section of leader butt or heavy mono (25# Maxima is best), and put a perfection loop on it. Then you can loop-to-loop to change leaders. Some folks tie a blood knot between the heavy mono and the leader too - but the loop-to-loop is easy and perfection loops are a snap to tie once you get the hang of it.

The ultimate fly line to leader connection is a Zap-a-Gap connection, but I've never got it to work and I haven't been able to find a pin vise.

Doesn't most high end fly line come with a loop built in the end now?

I know SA lines do. I tried the loop on two lines but the both started cracking right above the loop....I now cut the loop off tho and tie some 20lb maxima and make a loop.

Loop to loop is fast and easy and as mentioned a lot of the new lines now come that way with a loop already there. Call me old fashioned or just plain stubborn but I still prefer to add a heavy butt 2 to 3 feet with a nail knot and bloodknot the leader from there if you use zap a gap or a similar product on your nail knot connection you will form a nice bead that will pass through your tiptop and guides effortlessly

dave

wait for the sharkskin..expensive. but holy hell, you'll enjoy it

Better for dry fly fishing Brent??

I was going to pick up myself some of that SA Mastery Nymph taper for nymphing and then the GPX or Trout taper for dries...

Guest bigbadbrent

Just go GPX, it will do both of the presentations for drys and nymphing, and half the price of buying 2 mastery lines. The trout just has a more precise taper for dry fly's, and the nymph has the same, but for nymphing. GPX is a mix of the both, and the best of both worlds in my mind, i'd rather just switch flies, then swap spools (though, different game if you want a sink tip or something)

The Sharkskin is just an amazing line, i didn't get a chance to go fishing with it yet, just had the chance to play around with it for a bit. Hopefully i'll be able to grab one to try out on the river here quick.. This line is just the absolute mastery of fly lines, it shoots like an RPG out of the tip (was using it on a Z-axis) and unfolds like nothing i've ever seen. I imagine its going to be a more general line like the GPX.....It floats a lot higher due to the way its made (almost like golf ball dimples, but more of a diamond shape..) so therefore it should cast easier, pick up off the water easier, mend easier, less drag...pretty much the ultimate line..i'll be getting myself one for my new zealand trip..if that tells you anything

should be out in stores in december, but steeeep (105 bucks, at least) and you'll have to clean it almost every other day, just because of the way the line is made, picks up dirt like crazy (like the ridgeline, but 100x better)

I currently have a RIO Gold on my 4 weight (though its a 5 weight line, my 5 weight is broken) and its a sweet little line too, once you get used to it that is..perfect nymphing line for me so far..that one should be in stores here pretty quick..still has a bit of memory, but it is a brand new line (fished it twice..u can ask rickr about me bitching about it the first day, but my casting got a lot better by the end of the day)...should be on my rod for a long time