Fly Fusion Forums

Line And Backing Set For Left Hand Ret?

Ok I just got a reel and a spare spool set up at Wholesale. I told them I was a lefty but somehow we still managed to set it up (the Line and Backing) for a right hand retrieve. What would be the easiest way to fix this? Un-spool the whole rig and set it up in reverse?

I was disappointed when I got to the river and found this, but landing my first brown on the lower bow at fish creek made up for it...

Suggestion on how to fixed welcomed.

That's the only thing you can do, but I'd take it back to them and have them do it!!

Ok I just got a reel and a spare spool set up at Wholesale. I told them I was a lefty but somehow we still managed to set it up (the Line and Backing) for a right hand retrieve. What would be the easiest way to fix this? Un-spool the whole rig and set it up in reverse?

I was disappointed when I got to the river and found this, but landing my first brown on the lower bow at fish creek made up for it...

I feel your pain. I am right hand retrieve too. Your other option is to start reeling with your right hand.

A

Hells!! Take it into Wapati... They should do it for you if they have any sort of customer service... I'm 99% sure any of the sponsor fly shops ( with maybe the exception of one - I don't shop there so I don't know. Even "most" of the non sponsor shops would) would do it for you in Calgary, so you'd expect that they would, as well?!

Yup that is what I did today, real pain in the arse!

I'd go back but I live in Canmore...

Correct me if I've misunderstood this, but I thought I wanted to clear this up to help others avoid the same problem.

The way I read your post, you told the staff you were a left-handed caster, and they set up your reel for a right-hand retrieve. Normally, that would be correct; cast with your left, reel with your right. Back when I was at the retail level, my only question for a customer I was spooling up was, "Which hand do you reel with?" Surprising how many people had to look up at the ceiling and pantomime reeling to figure it out. Also surprising how many people cast and reel with the same hand.

Just reel it onto another reel off of that one. When you get all the backing off just start reeling it on the proper way and your done. Turn your drag on a bit on the reel you spooled off to and you should get spooled back on under nice tension. No need to re-tie any knots or anything.