Fly Fusion Forums

Advice Needed To Repair Oar

I have a set of 91/2 sleeved counter bal oars, and in a couple of spots the outer cover of the shaft is curling up and can be sharp. Any suggestions how to repair this. I thought a wrap of sorts and maybe a coat of varnish or varathane? Any input is appreciated. Thx

Are they fiberglass oars you are trying to repair? Depending on the damage you may be able to repair them by sanding them smooth and then coating them in epoxy resin. If you were to paint on a couple of coats of resin you should be good to go.

You may also consider these. http://canvasfish.com/merchandise/oar-wrap...for-outdoor-use

If you can post some pics you may get some help as well.

Andrew

Hey Paul,

I have a bunch of 2 part epoxy resin that I purchased to repair a canoe. I won't be able to use it all in my life time so you are welcome to it just return the unused amount.

Peter

Bump can still use some repair advice.

Thx Guys, Peter I think they may not be fibreglass as they feel too heavy, I dont know the materials used in oars, but I thought it might be a carbon fibre or something like that. I will call my friend who got them and ask, if so thx for the generous offer.

Should still work... You more or less want to seal it up so it doesn't fray or flake.

Thx Guys, Peter I think they may not be fibreglass as they feel too heavy, I dont know the materials used in oars, but I thought it might be a carbon fibre or something like that. I will call my friend who got them and ask, if so thx for the generous offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Epoxy will fix almost everthing,you'll have to sand off the protective coating you have now so the epoxy will stick.then cover the epoxy once its cured(@70F could be 7 days) with something to protect from UV ,if its a small area then paint will do.