Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Reels

Just looking for suggestions on reels.. I have purchased a # 4 and 7Wt rod and have to outfit them with reels. I am looking for something in middle price point. So far, I have looked at Lamson Konic. Anyone using it? Do you like it? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i would not worry much about the 4wt as most fish you get on that you can palm the real, but the 7 you might want to put a bit more money into as it might end up being your travel rod.

i have no problem with pflugers, Ross, or Hardy(if on sale)

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yes, yes. I took my pfluger to HI and just let it sit in tap water when i was not using it. no problems so far.

the salt water drag system "should" last longer aswell

Guest ArtVandelay

I just picked up the DD 5000 from Southbow and it's a very nice reel, smooth as butter and it didn't break the bank at well under $250. I'm very impressed with it so far.

The new Hardy Ultralite Reels look and feel pretty darn sweet. Great price point as well. (It will surprise you)

The new Hardy Ultralite Reels look and feel pretty darn sweet. Great price point as well. (It will surprise you)

The Hardy Ultralite is an awesome reel. I fished with it yesterday and was fortunate enough to hit a pretty nice brown who gave the drag a good workout. Very smooth (as you would expect), very large and sensitive drag adjustment. I adjusted it several times during the fight just to check sensitivity and see if it changed as the drag heated up. It didn't. Very solid reel, very nice price.

If you are looking for something a bit less expensive, I have a Greys' (Hardy's little brother) GX-300. I think they are like $70 or something? I got one to try out last spring, and after I was done with it pleaded until I was allowed to keep it. It is still my primary reel. It's lasted a full season now, and has caught some really big fish. The only thing that is different from when it was brand new is the clicker is pretty quiet now. Large, narrow arbor, aluminum frame, ridiculously smooth drag (I would say that even if it was a $500 reel. The drag is just spectacular). For the money, in my limited experience there is nothing like it.

I am very, very rough on gear. So for a $70 reel to last a season with me is saying something.

Thanks for the infor so far guys....I figured I would use my #7 wt for the bow...But reading what most people use, 6wt seems like the go to rod. I am just wondering should I trade in my 7 for a 6wt..Are a 4 and 6 wt a better combo than a 4 and 7 wt?

Guest Grinr
Just looking for suggestions on reels.. I have purchased a # 4 and 7Wt rod and have to outfit them with reels. I am looking for something in middle price point. So far, I have looked at Lamson Konic. Anyone using it? Do you like it? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

I've had a Konic 2.0 on my 5wt into it's 3rd hard season now....no complaints and I'm hard on gear,it's been ridden hard and put away wet 100+ days/yearFWIW,its been torture tested by close to 2 dozen(?) Atlantic Salmon as well,including putting the brakes on a 22lb hen that nearly spooled me 3 times. Smooth drag,very lightweight by comparison to other reels of it's size,good bang for yer bucks IMHO,I'd have no issues with buying another one.

I'd suggest maybe a 1.5 for your 4wt and maybe the 3.0 matched to the 7?

I've had a Konic 2.0 on my 5wt into it's 3rd hard season now....no complaints and I'm hard on gear,it's been ridden hard and put away wet 100+ days/yearFWIW,its been torture tested by close to 2 dozen(?) Atlantic Salmon as well,including putting the brakes on a 22lb hen that nearly spooled me 3 times. Smooth drag,very lightweight by comparison to other reels of it's size,good bang for yer bucks IMHO,I'd have no issues with buying another one.

I'd suggest maybe a 1.5 for your 4wt and maybe the 3.0 matched to the 7?

Great...Thanks for the info.....Just wondering. 1.5 for the 4wt is that the weight of the reel?

Thanks again

Guest Grinr
Great...Thanks for the info.....Just wondering. 1.5 for the 4wt is that the weight of the reel?

Thanks again

1.5 is the smallest Konic and appropriate sz for a 2,3,4wt.

I own a lot of reels, from trout to spey to saltwater, Hatch, Loop, Ross, Galvan and Sage. Someday soon i am hoping i have enough that i dont need to spend money on reels for quite a while! Anyways i find the Sage 4200 series to be totally kickass for the price, nice looks, good tight feel and the drag worked great in the salt, spent a week fishing the beaches and everglades in and around Naples, Florida... As was mentionned earlier, on 4 wt. you dont usually need much of a drag, palming the spool on a hot Crowsnest rainbow is one of the funnest things you can do! I have a Sage Click on my z-axis 490-4, nice combo...