Fly Fusion Forums

Best Nymphing Rod From A Drift Boat

Looking to add to my collection of Bow River nymphing rods and the Cabelas CZN is on the top of my wish list for a couple of reasons. #1 - from what I've read about czech nymphing: softer action and extra length, easier on lighter tippets and easier hook sets. #2 - the extra length, 10 or 11 foot has a better reach and mend factor from the boat (is 11 feet too long?). And #3 - the price point of the Cabelas is hard to beat. I'm seriously looking at the CZN 4 wt. 10ft or 11ft.

Please offer any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

Bruce

I've been eyeing that very rod too.

However, I took a Czech nymphing course a couple of years ago with a member of the Canadian Youth Fly Fishing team. The way he taught the method leads me to believe, that to execute the technique properly, a drift boat approach would not be a suitable match. The method itself is more slow and meticulous, and the speed of a drift boat would greatly hamper the success (or at least, the technique) of the European nymphing approach.

But! That's not to say you still couldn't use that model rod from a drift bod, or that it would be a bad choice - whatever method.

I guess what I am saying is that I've never heard of Czech nymphing from a moving drift boat. Methods continually evolve though, so it wouldn't be surprising in the least to adapt some variation of the method to drifting.

Smitty

I use a 6wt 9foot 6 and I have placed a 270gr compact scandi and it works unbelivable great from a boat.

With the shooting head no need for back cast a simple roll cast and watch the line go out. Personally I think a shooting line is ideal from a boat as it allows you to put on a heavy rig and still cast it with little to no effort, and for someone like me that has serious problems with my shoulder it makes life so much easier.

Another bonus with this is you can use it from shore too and still get great distance with little to no effort. Learn some single hand spey casts and it is the game changer, espically when you want to throw three big heavy nymphs during high water.

If you asre around the south end of the city let me know and I will be happy to come out and show you my set up.

I use a 5wt 10' helios....and a 5119tcx Sage, the extra length on the two rods is a must.Like stated above the Sage is difficult to store on most boats....but never seems to get put down. We end up sharing the TCX all day because it is that good.

i'm using a 5wt 10' as well.. makes it easy to roll cast and get some distance from a boat when i'm left handed and have other in the boat. Its a pretty solid rod that also allows for some good distance casting when needed.. like stated above the length also helps when mending from the boat

I guess what I am saying is that I've never heard of Czech nymphing from a moving drift boat. Methods continually evolve though, so it wouldn't be surprising in the least to adapt some variation of the method to drifting.

Smitty

While it may not be technical "czech" nymphing... I do this from the boat from time to time in deep holes or with clients who have trouble casting well. Add a bunch of splits on a lighter line under the flies (so if it snags only the lighter line and splits are lost) , use no indy and let them bump along them bottom and feel for the ticks of the bottom or the whump of a take. Good rods for it are certainly ones with tip sensitivity... anything in a 10ft would be a good boat road, most rod holders max out at 10ft though so an 11footer wouldn't be the best.

cheers

While it may not be technical "czech" nymphing... I do this from the boat from time to time in deep holes or with clients who have trouble casting well. Add a bunch of splits on a lighter line under the flies (so if it snags only the lighter line and splits are lost) , use no indy and let them bump along them bottom and feel for the ticks of the bottom or the whump of a take. Good rods for it are certainly ones with tip sensitivity... anything in a 10ft would be a good boat road, most rod holders max out at 10ft though so an 11footer wouldn't be the best.

cheers

That would be called the bounce method would it not, minus the indicator.

I use a 10' 5wt eastfork. The extra length and the softer action does open the loops up well and it casts great. Easily lobs out a bobber.... and 3 flies.

What grain compact skagit would you guys recommend for a 5 wt single hand? Never had the thoughts of doing that but it just makes A LOT OF SENSE.