Fly Fusion Forums

Crowsnest Fishing And Camping Bear Safety

Bearspray vs Guns

The following information was presented recently by local bear expert Stephen Herrero:

Bear Spray

By AssociatedPress Sunday Mar. 25th, 2012 - 6:29pm

Study: Bear spray tops guns in stopping grizzlies

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) -- A bear expert says a study has found that people

using bear spray during grizzly bear encounters are injured far less often than

people using firearms.

University of Calgary's Steve Herrero tells the Missoulian that 98 percent of

those who used bear spray walked away unharmed, and no people or bears

died.

He says 56 percent of those who used firearms were injured, and 61 percent of

the bears died.

The firearms study involved 269 incidents with 444 hunters. The bear spray

study had 72 incidents with 175 people, though some of those might have been

less dangerous encounters.

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks bear manager Mike Madel says the results are

pretty persuasive.

The information was presented last week at the Fourth International Human-Bear

Conflict Workshop in Missoula.

------

Information from: Missoulian

AP-WF-03-25-12 2224GMT

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grinr
Betcha he didn't shoot it at 16.5 metres with a point454 Casulls either .... just sayin'

Likely not....but it sure as hell wasn't pepper spray neither,cuz unlike all the internet armchair experts,folks that actually live everday with grizzlies as a potential threat know how to deal with'em.....jest sayin. ;)

Guest Grinr
Read post #126 out loud for us would you.

Thanks anyway but I already read it a cpl weeks ago.

Perhaps you should forward that report to the rancher to inform him that the next time he suspects a large carnivore is prowling around his home he should investigate armed with pepper spray?Fortunately for him and his almost widow,he is obviously an expert marksman to hit a charging tennis ball size target at 18 yards,yes? :rolleyes:

Actually Slick, what I said was pepper spray was good enough for me. I could give a s hit what eastcoast salmon fishermen prone to stupid statements carry for bear protection. I know the rancher in question, that old boy could shoot the wings off a travelin' horsefly at 18yds and he also knew that bear was fully committed when he dropped him and not at 250 yds like 90% of these gun totin' bear paranoid wannabe rambos would try.

Now, do y'all need lessons on how sex and travel works??? I could hook you up Sunshine.

Actually Slick, what I said was pepper spray was good enough for me. I could give a s hit what eastcoast salmon fishermen prone to stupid statements carry for bear protection. I know the rancher in question, that old boy could shoot the wings off a travelin' horsefly at 18yds and he also knew that bear was fully committed when he dropped him and not at 250 yds like 90% of these gun totin' bear paranoid wannabe rambos would try.

Now, do y'all need lessons on how sex and travel works??? I could hook you up Sunshine.

Awesome.

Guest Grinr
I know the rancher in question, that old boy could shoot the wings off a travelin' horsefly at 18yds ......

Wow,lemme guess..... you know him from the barrel melting/keg o'powder burners gun club?

Not sure what exactly you mean by your last statement,but I highly doubt there's many lessons I could learn from you,thanks anyway.

Guest Grinr

OooooooEeeeeeeeeeee....Well I declare,I DO loves canoe tripn!!

Maybe I catcha on the riva sometime Mr. Bo Rito....gives y'all with yo perty lil (loud)mouth sum lesson on piggy squealin',hyuk hyuk.

Y'all be cayful out they now,ya hear? ;)

A Birchy sighting!!

What? WHERE?!

I know.. I know.. I never call.. I never write...! I've been busy being cranky about the winter. But now that the weather has been getting so nice lately I've been starting to get the itch again...

Doesn't look like much has changed around here.. a few new names.. most people still being very helpful.. the same handful of people still being jack@sses.. all is well!

Jesus christ Ryan I ain't that big a jackass... sheesh

BTW WTF you been??

Guilty conscience...? :P

Oh I've been around.. kind of lost the fishing bug a little while back, but it's coming around again. Only got out ice fishing once this winter! Was spending a whole bunch of time looking at astronomy stuff.. telescopes and taking pictures of the night sky.. been cheating on you guys with some other internet forums.. trying my best not to spend a whole bunch more money on a brand new hobby!

What? WHERE?!

I know.. I know.. I never call.. I never write...! I've been busy being cranky about the winter. But now that the weather has been getting so nice lately I've been starting to get the itch again...

Doesn't look like much has changed around here.. a few new names.. most people still being very helpful.. the same handful of people still being jack@sses.. all is well!

Just for the record, Ryan, we cycle in a new jack@ss or two every couple months... :angel:smail:

Sorry to hear about you getting the itch again; it's probably just from sweating a lot in your waders- have you tried Gold Bond powder?

I didn't want the thread to go stale just when you were getting warmed up.

Mike

Oh hell Mike sometimes it just flat out fun to float a size 4 fluorescent pink Chernobyl Ant over their heads