Fly Fusion Forums

Blind Eye Hooks / Flies

agbff

Well, this is pretty new to me...Wanna start getting into tying more "classics."

What are the advantages / disadvantages to the blind eye (technique?)

Were blind eye hooks the original way of tying flies?

I've read that it allows for a better swim in the water, but I can't really picture the difference between a blind eye and standard hook swinging along?

Thoughts?

Well, this is pretty new to me...Wanna start getting into tying more "classics."

What are the advantages / disadvantages to the blind eye (technique?)

Were blind eye hooks the original way of tying flies?

I've read that it allows for a better swim in the water, but I can't really picture the difference between a blind eye and standard hook swinging along?

Thoughts?

Are you reffering to salmon flies or the the fly types that have leaders attached in the tying process? One advantage is that the leader, line and hook are more in a straight line and thus in theory should reduce drag on a drift

Are you reffering to salmon flies or the the fly types that have leaders attached in the tying process? One advantage is that the leader, line and hook are more in a straight line and thus in theory should reduce drag on a drift

I am referring to this style...http://www.vintagefish.com/flies/w-23.jpg

Dave,

I have a book and its call Yo Momma.....

Where were you for the Expo this year?

<--poke--<

Pacres:el:toro

Taking care of my son who has gone through Pneumonia and now has blood clots. You?

Flyon,

This is the book http://www.amazon.ca/Tying-Classic-Salmon-...2363&sr=1-1

I tried to do them but it's very difficult and I couldn't put enough time into it. Will try later in life.

I am referring to this style...http://www.vintagefish.com/flies/w-23.jpg

If your just starting use regular salmon/steelhead hooks till you get to the point where you like them then use the iron/gut combo. I'm assuming you want these as more of a show fly than fishable ones?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i think it gives a better swimging action in the water like when you tie your streamer to loop. i have also heard of some deteioration occuring at the "soft eye" causing them to fail under stress, is this true?

i think it gives a better swimging action in the water like when you tie your streamer to loop. i have also heard of some deteioration occuring at the "soft eye" causing them to fail under stress, is this true?

Never experienced the stress thing that at all. Always use a loop to loop, maybe that's the difference.