Fly Fusion Forums

Reel For Spey Rod

hayze07

I just bought a pieroway 510 spey rod and was looking at the loop classic reel but was wondering which size would balance well for it? Any other suggestions for reels to balance this rod out. Thank you

For the 510 Butter Stick I would go with a Loop Classic 5/8 or even a 7/9 depends what line combo you need to put on it. It throws a 400 gr so i would lean toward the 7/9. I would take the stick down to a shop and check out the balance with the reel first. That rod from what I remember is fairly light and you don't want too heavy a reel. Great reels the classics I have a couple that i love.

The 510, throws around a 500, just to clarify. 400 would throw the 400 better at least according to the website and myself demo-ing it, i would also lean towards the 7/9, bigger is usually better for reels when it comes to spey.

i think the 7/9 will be fine for the MD 510 ive bin using a 8/11 classic lately on the 510 MD use to use my runner but have bin balancing my rods headier on the bottom to feel more balanced when forming the d loop... rather than the traditional way... im not afan of super heavy on the bottom but getting more that way.. i find it helps me work less with similar effort!

i think the 7/9 will be fine for the MD 510 ive bin using a 8/11 classic lately on the 510 MD use to use my runner but have bin balancing my rods headier on the bottom to feel more balanced when forming the d loop... rather than the traditional way... im not afan of super heavy on the bottom but getting more that way.. i find it helps me work less with similar effort!

That's what I found, I love the way the runner picks up line fast but wish is was a bit heavier. Nice thing about the Classic.

I went from a Loop CLW to an Evotec and weight difference proved to be very beneficial to my casting. The heavier reel provides almost a pivot point on the foward stroke... Like most things fly fishing though, it's all personal preference.