Fly Fusion Forums

Bearspaw Dam

Guest lookinforwalter

untill about 2 weeks ago i had been fishing the strech from the bearspaw reservoir down to the bowness bridge. Theres a few runs if you walked down the shore. Its kinda hit or miss really. In the spring the fish were jumping non stop up at the reservoir, then that stopped, then it was on fishing just below the dam, then that stopped and they moved further down to the outlet pond, which was good for a few weeks then it went to the river. If your gonna fish i'd recommend a little bit down from the overflow pond down from the dam. I live in scenic acres and occasionally just park in silver and walk down the hill and fish the strech between the bowness bridge and 16th bridge, i'd give that a try if i were you too. Good luck.

I fished above the dam years ago (when i didn't know squat). I never cought anything but did see lots of rises on certain occasions - numerous LARGE fish. I was there one time on a zodiac when the fish went into a feeding frenzy. The water was literally boiling around us but we didn't catch a single fish. It was very frustrating, but very exciting. I plan on heading back up there one day and try out some techniques I have learned since.

I did see a guy catching smaller trout on dries wading right near the dam one time too.

But like I said, it was a long time ago. I'm not sure what has changed there since. I know there has been a lot of development in that area.

Nymph right now right up at the dam (lower side) and catch as many whities as you want, right below the concrete wall. There's also a BIG pike (or 2) in the overflow pond if anyone wants to try to catch them. Please if you do, let them go - they've been there a long time. Thanks & have fun!

So many whities up there its ridiculous. That little pond just down stream from the dam does have a big pike more in it. I managed to get one to chase my streamer. Up there is the only place on the Bow I've ever been checked by a CO, apparently theres alot of poaching that goes on up there. lots of fishing pressure at the dam, not very many decent trout. Know of someone who caught a laker below the dam.

Directly below the dam can be good when the Bow opens in spring. I usually nymph, but have caught them on dries there as well. That overflow bay can be good after dark, a few big rainbows and the odd brown. I usually use a BIG leech pattern or something similar. As for in the lake, there are some very big Lakers in there, and some nice rainbows. Right off the face of the dam has proven to be fairly useless for me, as there are tons of people bonking fish, and SO MUCH garbage it makes me sick. This area is redneck fisherman central, so take a garbage bag with you please. If you want to catch the best fish in the lake, drive towards the springbank golf course, but don't turn right when you see the sign for the golf course itself, keep going north on the road, and you can acess the lake at the bottom of the hill, take waders and walk the shoreline. (run on sentence :rolleyes: ) This is where the river comes into the lake, and there are much better fish up there.

• Like 1

Guest lookinforwalter

Thank you so much for you responses. I went just past the Soccer dome Yesterday to that parking lot. It was super windy but managed to land a small rainbow in the hour i was there. Next time could you please tell me to be careful and not fall down the bank! Even though i screwed my back a little i laughed my ass off.

Thank you all for your advice!!!!! You have benn of great help to me.

Not really related to fish, but I had an amazing experience on the lake scootin around in my dad's zodiac with my friend. We didn't catch anything so started exploring a bit. We found a narrow inlet on the south side of hte lake and drifted into it casting for fish. After some time we realized we were being watched.

There were about a dozen large white owls standing along the steep walls. It was all overgrown and dark from overhanging trees. we ended up just sitting there watching them as they watched us for quite some time. It was amazing.

I wonder if some developer bulldozed the place and put a private boat dock in there now.

I know of the exact inlet you speak of, it is a really beautiful little spot. I never got any fish in there when I was there a couple of years ago, but I suspect it's just the same as it was back then. What a cool place. It's hard to believe how remote it feels & yet be so close to the big city. Great story brewingup.

• 15 years later...