Fly Fusion Forums

Close Call

I do alot of backcountry snowboarding/snowmobiling. I received a GoPro camera last year and started filming most of my runs since.

This day was a really close call, fortunately I had an easy escape route(ridge shoulder) and the other members of my group were in safe zones waiting/watching.

The snowpack is really dodgy this year as this slide went down to the dec 11 rain/sun crust. Our group had been skiing this ridge all day without incident and further down the same ridge the previous day. This is the biggest person triggered avalanche our extended group has seen so we will be using extra caution as should everyone else who enjoys the backcountry.

video

Dave

My wife and I were up on Black Prince Sunday and there was this idiot standing right in the middle of the avi chute (the one above the creek bed/canyon) taking off his skins... I was much lower in the trees and I didn't stick around as it was a nightmare waiting to happen considering there was a slide in the area on Friday (as well as the warm temps & heavy winds that day)!!

Dave, was there a CAC bulletin for that area?! I think it was rated as high over the weekend, wasn't it?

P

Very interesting and scary video which I have forwarded too many of my fellow riders. We were in the northern Monashees on the same day where ,surprisingly, the stability is fairly good. Although there is a layer in the area in the Monashees we were in similar to the one that nearly got you it is not reactive like it is in the Purcells and Selkirks. Thanks for sharing,I'm sure you're thinking that one clip makes the GoPro all worthwhile.

The CAC rating was considerable for that day. I always check the bulletins in the AM and keep a close eye on things during the week from calgary as well.

I'm glad you're sharing this video, I had initially intended on just sharing it with my extended group of friends but thought anyone who is using the bc backcountry (pucells in particular)should be able to witness the severity of the instability. The crown on this slab was 1-1.5m thick and obviously ran full path.

The GoPro was mounted on my extended shovel shaft on my pack this is a new angle I was trying and like the perspective, I just wish in this case it was mounted on my left shoulder.

No 420, I haven't been to fortress since it closed.

cool looking video, with interesting point of view. are you using go pro hd hero or hero2? i recently pick up the hd hero and was having issues with video clarity. any suggestions? i currently am using mac iMovie for editing.any tips you could pass along would be helpful.

This is a goPro Hero. I used imovie but I'm not really experienced at it. This was the first time I put any footage together.

I think you can scroll through the quality settings on the camera somehow. I have noticed theses cameras lose quality in low light conditions.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

its the small lense that causes the low quality in low light, my w80 has the same problem. Have you tryied the full version of quicktime for editing?