Fly Fusion Forums

Grey Heron Legalities

Jayhad

This last week while walking a BC river my father and I saw a freshly dead grey heron (sp?). I didn't pilfer it as we both thought there were legal issues, I recall that there are plumes on the bird that are desired for spey flys.... Are there any issues with owning heron feathers and what steps need to be taken if I wanted to "claim" this skin?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

from what i have read on other Fly Tying forum is that you can not take any part of a live or dead Heron(Canada). This is to protect the animals, i could go whack one and pull feathers and say its from road kill. or just go get the Blue Eard Pheasant feathers, they work the same (but the strands are a touch shorter).

This last week while walking a BC river my father and I saw a freshly dead grey heron (sp?). I didn't pilfer it as we both thought there were legal issues, I recall that there are plumes on the bird that are desired for spey flys.... Are there any issues with owning heron feathers and what steps need to be taken if I wanted to "claim" this skin?

Jay..

Don't know about BC but in Alberta you take the carcass to the nearest F&W office. Tell them what you know and if they don't wish to keep it for their own work, they generally give it to you with a letter legalizing the whole business. Note: a big NO - NO - bullet holes - not a good thing.

Check with BC. Bet it's similar. 'bout the only thing that is really illegal are eagle feathers.

regards,

Don