Fly Fusion Forums

Need Electric Trolling Motor Advice

Walton

Want to get a trolling motor that I could use on my pontoon and for my small aluminum and wondering if its possible that one motor could do both? Any advice wound be greatly appreciated. Pontoon is a Outcast Fishcat 10 IR and aluminum is about 12 feet. Both craft used for trolling local lakes. Thanks for the help.

Now a days the digital maximizer option on the Minnkotas is a must,big difference in battery life.So the Minnkota Traxxis is the one and the smallest is 45lb thrust.

I have an older Endura 30lb ,it moved my toon around no problem it also moved a 1448 jon if it wasn't windy and if i just kept it on low and used it sparingly i could get a couple of days out of a group 27 battery.

So if your only a day tripper and you only go short distances the Endura will do.If you like to go for multiple days on one battery and like to troll then the Traxxis is the one.

I have both, a 55 lb and a 30 lb thrust Minkota. I use the 30 for the pontoon and the 55 on the Zodiac. As mike (Tungsten) says, battery life is certainly a consideration. Trolling will drain your battery over the course of the day so if you have a way to recharge it, no problem. I think , if you bought a 30 lb. motor, you would not be happy with the performance on your other boat. The 45 mentioned above would be a good compromise.

Murray

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated. I expect I'll try the one with 45 lbs thrust. Will probably be using mainly on the aluminum but it should give me the opportunity to use it on the toon.

If you want to save money on a battery I have one which is too small for my 14 foot lund but would be perfect for your boat. I'll sell it cheap.