Fly Fusion Forums

Bearspaw River Access To Be Shut Down

Found this on another forum this morning. This is a great place for us NW calgary anglers to kill a couple of hours or walk the dog with our families. Added my name to the Facebook page this morning. Too bad I missed the rally.

GM

On the west side of Calgary, the Bow River is impounded in a reservoir by the Bearspaw Dam. The reservoir is surrounded by private land, including some very nice subdivisions. Public access for pedestrians and (portagable) boats / canoes / kayaks / tubers to the water has been restricted to one parking lot, with access across C.P.R. train tracks. The City of Calgary and the C.P.R. have announced their intention to fence off this access, due to safety / liability concerns. Only those fortunate enough to have their own private property access would then be able to reach Bearspaw Reservoir.

There is a group of concerned people who want the City and the CPR to sit down and find a solution that will continue to provide the public with access to this popular recreational waterbody - one of the very few public waterbodies in Calgary.

The removal of this access will affect many of our AO members - anglers, boaters, hikers, dogwalkers. If this is of concern to you, visit the Face-book group 'save access to the bearspaw dam both for pedestrian and boater use ' at

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/gro...37512906349080/

and consider joining the rally at the dam on Sunday, Nov 13th, at 6 p.m.

Guest bobjones
Now where will all the wack a trouters go to sit on their coolers and chuck bait?

Exactly. Anyone who ever made the mistake of trying to flyfish that section will know this is no big loss to FF.

And 420, the idea is not a crossing over the river but just a way to get across the train tracks safely (as people have been doing for decades). A crossing arm or overpass could be installed instead of shutting off the entire area.

Losing access to the reservoir is what I am most concerned with.

Ham and bobjones,

You'll notice you're posting in the NFR section of the forum.

Oh I wouldnt say my comment was related to fishing, more so poaching...

It is a shame they are killing another access point regardless of where it is I've lived in the area my whole life and spent a lot of time down there, doesnt matter if your fishing, walking or going rafting it sucks that it wont be there anymore for others to use.

• 4 weeks later...

there is lots of access to that part of the river if u have money or know somebody at trans alta or if u are a MD of rockyford Crony.........or can buy an exclusive lakefront lot at Emerald bay. Its nice to know that thirty or so families have exclusive rights to run motorboats icefishing shacks on North calgary's water supply at Bears Paw. Makes closing the parking lot all the more critical for us unimportant regular folk with only one vote. P.S. how does that lazy piece of crap Rob Anders keep getting elected? answer. Complacentcy from the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! feed Rob Anders to the Pike and lets get some real representation i