Fly Fusion Forums

For Monger - Nymphing Steel

AdamJ

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/...for-experienced

I fish down in WA maybe once a year, so became a member of their forum as well. Interesting what some people have to say and how many similarities there are......

Just for interest sake - no intention to resume beating the dead horse.

And their discussion on "players vs bead eaters" http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/...Myth-or-Reality

I got about 3 pages in just for the entertainment value. However, I did cut this line out. While it might not be the most well crafted sentence, I must admit I love it:

"its easier i guess to explain a lack of success by claiming a higher character i guess and looking down on everyone else. "

Thanks for the link Adam. Some good thoughts buried in there. I think it really all comes down to defining what personally gives you the greatest satisfaction. With time, many folks feel doing things in a more challenging manner results in more satisfaction. I can definitely see where getting a steelhead to take a dry would be more satisfying for ME rather than watching an indicator sink. I don't feel I need to attack folks for using a legal method other than my choice for the day.

A friend went to the Skeena drainage last month and caught lots of fish...but he didn't find one that wanted a fly on the swing. Maybe next year he'll get one. It will be interesting to see if it changes his point of view on what method gives the greatest satisfaction.

Sounds a lot like the guys that say that the fish don't want to eat dries, when they're nymphing all day. Hard to say that fish aren't into something unless your doing it every day. Indicators and eggs will always outfish a swung fly if everything else was equal. Fish are designed to kill eggs that they see.

Fishing an indi would never give the best part of steel fishing, the fish that hits the fly at Mach 10 and just keeps going, and is gone before you've figured out what happened