Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Tcx 9' 6w 4p

kentan

I guess I'll comment, I don't own or handled or ever fished one but if it's anything like it's predecessor the TCR it will be an extremely powerful rod that's an absolute friggin cannon that will handle 90+ feet of line and a weighted bow river bugger with ease. Not a rod for close-in delicate work or a caster who doesn't or can't double haul.

They are sending it to me as a replacement for an old Sage SP+ that was broken, was wondering what the story on these was. Guy at the store said it fishes softer than the SP+ which is good. I told him if possible to replace it with something softer as those fast rods are just to much work for me anymore. He then mentioned a Z-Axis but said its also a fast rod. Anyone have any stories on the Z-Axis? I casted one a few years back and ended up buying a 9' 6w 4p GLX. Regardless they are sending me a TCX which I heard also comes with a pretty hefty price tag. If its to stiff perhaps I can send it back for the Z-Axis or maybe work something out a the flyshop (trade etc.?) Thx for the feedback folks!

For dollar value, the TCX is a better deal as the Z-axis has been discontinued and can be picked up for near half the price of a new TCX; though, selection is starting to become limited. You might want to look at the Sage ONE that replaced the Z-axis.

The TCX is fast, and the blank feels stiff. I would say the Z-axis is a more of a medium-fast rod with more feel throughout the blank. The Z-axis is a very versatile rod, and does everything quite well. Like I said, the TCX is very good at bombing streamers, but you'd have a hard time spending the entire day using it for nymphing. I haven't had a chance to cast the Sage ONE, but I'd recommend that you try it out as it would be a more fair trade in terms of dollar value for the new TCX.

For dollar value, the TCX is a better deal as the Z-axis has been discontinued and can be picked up for near half the price of a new TCX; though, selection is starting to become limited. You might want to look at the Sage ONE that replaced the Z-axis.

The TCX is fast, and the blank feels stiff. I would say the Z-axis is a more of a medium-fast rod with more feel throughout the blank. The Z-axis is a very versatile rod, and does everything quite well. Like I said, the TCX is very good at bombing streamers, but you'd have a hard time spending the entire day using it for nymphing. I haven't had a chance to cast the Sage ONE, but I'd recommend that you try it out as it would be a more fair trade in terms of dollar value for the new TCX.

Thx man.

The SP+, first stick with Durascrim, 64 Million modulus graphite, casts buggers like a slingshot. did you buy it because of "the movie?" It came out the same year so Sage really benefitted from Brad. Those sticks were rifles, I don't own one (why not?) and haven't had the pleasure to fish one since '98. If memory serves me correct it was a dramatic departure from the previous Graphite II actions. The SP+s were never as popular as the RPLs in the region I lived and I think Sage sold more RPLs than SP+s. Was your SP+ a 2 or 3 piece? the 3 pieces are fairly rare. Do you not have the option of getting the SP+? Sage has always stated they keep the mandrels of past models so they can provide warranties.

I would personally think the SP+ is more similar to a Z than a TCX, perhaps the Sage employee is just looking at model value. The TCX's came from the TCR's (Tournament Casting Rod), which for 95% of the market were virtually uncontrollable. If you cast like a master they were incredible, generating line speeds and pin point accuracy that was unparalleled. BUT it became quickly evident that the TCR was a nightmare for the average angler, it magnifies faults in your cast unlike any other rod out there. Solution tame the rod down a bit and wham we have the TCX.

I like to collect Sage sticks but I have to fish them, because of this I have never owned a singlehand TCX, I don't see it as the best option in Sage's line up. I do know some guys that love the TCXs for streamer fishing. Do you have the option of getting a ONE? I've only casted the ONEs and I will be fishing them this coming weekend, but in my opinion the One is a well refined Z minus half the weight... actually they almost feel uncomfortabley light..... I can't wait to get my hands on the 7100.

The SP+, first stick with Durascrim, 64 Million modulus graphite, casts buggers like a slingshot. did you buy it because of "the movie?" It came out the same year so Sage really benefitted from Brad. Those sticks were rifles, I don't own one (why not?) and haven't had the pleasure to fish one since '98. If memory serves me correct it was a dramatic departure from the previous Graphite II actions. The SP+s were never as popular as the RPLs in the region I lived and I think Sage sold more RPLs than SP+s. Was your SP+ a 2 or 3 piece? the 3 pieces are fairly rare. Do you not have the option of getting the SP+? Sage has always stated they keep the mandrels of past models so they can provide warranties.

I would personally think the SP+ is more similar to a Z than a TCX, perhaps the Sage employee is just looking at model value. The TCX's came from the TCR's (Tournament Casting Rod), which for 95% of the market were virtually uncontrollable. If you cast like a master they were incredible, generating line speeds and pin point accuracy that was unparalleled. BUT it became quickly evident that the TCR was a nightmare for the average angler, it magnifies faults in your cast unlike any other rod out there. Solution tame the rod down a bit and wham we have the TCX.

I like to collect Sage sticks but I have to fish them, because of this I have never owned a singlehand TCX, I don't see it as the best option in Sage's line up. I do know some guys that love the TCXs for streamer fishing. Do you have the option of getting a ONE? I've only casted the ONEs and I will be fishing them this coming weekend, but in my opinion the One is a well refined Z minus half the weight... actually they almost feel uncomfortabley light..... I can't wait to get my hands on the 7100.

It was a demo rod, was half price and had a big name so I bought it lol! Didnt know much back then, still dont really! Its a two piece. Anyways I fished that rod for years and years, didnt really seem to have any issues casting it, maybe thats why my shoulder hurts so goddam much now! I broke the tip section three times since I bought it, they replaced the tip twice and now apparently they cant do this one anymore? I never spoke to Sage directly just buddy at the fly shop I've gone through. Is the Tcx softer than the SP+? If so great, anything softer would be better, love the rod just getting older and dont want to work as hard lol!. The sage One was never brought up as an option just the Tcx, when I asked about another rod he said Z-Axis which I casted a couple years back and was not super stoked about. I told him to go ahead and have the Tcx sent, he said a week over a week ago so I think its close to getting here. Regardless, Im sure it will all work out in the end. Thanks for the input.

Wasn't the first Durascrim rod the SP ( circa 1993-2001) then the SP+ circa ( 1995-1998). And "the movie" coming out in Oct 1992.

I have 2 older SP that are great rods, the only rod better would be the ONE.

Wasn't the first Durascrim rod the SP ( circa 1993-2001) then the SP+ circa ( 1995-1998). And "the movie" coming out in Oct 1992.

I have 2 older SP that are great rods, the only rod better would be the ONE.

Chris, you are correct about the SP being the first Durascrim blank, I tend to lump SP and SP+ in the same breath as i do RPL and RPL+ and RPLXi or the newer VT and TXL series, sorry for the confusion. As for the the movie I was kinda guessing there, with out checking i thought it was 1994, but Oct 92 and Sage dropping the SP a couple months later was what i was getting at...... that was a long time ago.