Fly Fusion Forums

Polarized

EdB

I'm all about the half jackets by Oakley. Interchangeable lenses. I can switch to clear lenses in the dark and still have protection. When I need the polarized I just pop in. When the lenses get scratched simply buy more lenses. I've been using this interchangeable system for years. Several others make them like Nike and Smith and I'm sure there are others. Love the system, glasses for any condition. I believe Oakley just came out with a "Fishing Specific" lens. I haven't checked it out but I wil lbe.

I had some Smith Sliders a few years back that had the same interchangable lens systems..worked pretty good..left them on the roof of the car, drove off..was left with 3 pairs of lenses and no frames..LOL

Check out e-bay for Action Optics, there is a Canadian store selling them for $50 bucks. I had to replace my 10 year old pair (Lost River, brown) that I had crushed in my vest, and got a mirror blue pair for the salt. Maui Jim's are awesome as well but it's hard to find deals on them. Once in awhile you see them at Costco.

Like brewingup says, the Bow can be more subtle rises than sight fishing but it still helps alot to cut the glare.

I believe Oakley just came out with a "Fishing Specific" lens. I haven't checked it out but I wil lbe.

Here are the new Oakley's:

http://oakley.ca/pd/4868

In the description on their site it says: "And to keep fish from getting an unfair advantage, we eliminate the kind of haze and distortion found in ordinary polarized lenses by bonding our filter at the molecular level."

Dam those cheatin fish!

Here are the new Oakley's:

http://oakley.ca/pd/4868

In the description on their site it says: "And to keep fish from getting an unfair advantage, we eliminate the kind of haze and distortion found in ordinary polarized lenses by bonding our filter at the molecular level."

Dam those cheatin fish!

And a bargain at just $255!! I might as well get a few pairs. :rolleyes:

On that subject.... the only fish I have spotted and subsequently caught are ones that have risen, if even subtly. I've tried to spot fish under water (wearing cheap polarized glasses) and can't say that I've seen any. I've looked for shadows, flashes, etc in places I would expect fish to hold. Sometimes I think I see a flash or shadow but I think it's just ripples or else my mind playing with me. Is there something else I'm missing (e.g. patience)?

I wonder if they sell polarized goggles or periscopes.

i cant remember if this was about glasses or fish... lol. but anyway, a periscope wont do you much good, unless you are under the water and trying to see the people on land trying to catch... damn cheating fish.

i have a friend who cant see shyte in front of his face to save his life but bloody hell can he see fish. personally i can't see a damn thing in the bow but on a small stream i see them all over the place.

maybe it is individual but, for me, i see movement and shapes out of place. i have mistaken a rock for a fish on more than on occation but more often than not, i can see fish staging under shelves. i think it is just time, practice, experience and it helps if you have someone with you who 'knows' how to see fish to help you find them. eventually, you just start seeing them. at least that is how it happened for me.

as for sunglasses, i can see just as well with as without, so i dont spend more than $25 if i can help it. besides, i have other things to spend money on, like fly tying supplies. both pairs have uv protection and polarized lenses.

I have recently acquired at nominal cost a pair of SPY Nolens and a pair of SPY Espada. They are both with polarized lenses. The Espada's also have a "Blue lens" and a "Yellow lens" which are transferable. It sure is great to have a friend in the "Spy" business!!!

Well i'll have to check some of these out. As for MTB statement about not seeing the fish cause i'm new i agree with that but i also find them usefull just for seeing the bottom of the river to make wading a little easier and as you say eye protection is very important as well. MTB i will go with you anytime and anywhere, would love to hit the river with you.

In my opinion you´re crazy to buy anything but Smiths. Great quality for less then Maui Jim´s, Oakley ect and a fantastic lifetime warr. I literally took back my last pair in a ziplock bag after the girlfriend´s dog got a hold of them. No questions asked, I had a new pair.

The Westjet store sells Maui Jim's, got a pair for around 130.00.

Personally I'm tired of coming back to work from days off and being told I look like a racoon.

Well if you wore a hat and actually put on some sun screen that wouldn't be a problem now would it. :)