Fly Fusion Forums

Good Deal For Starter?

jasonvilly

Thinking about getting into tying my own flies. Just starting to research everything so no decisions have been made.

Looking at starter kits and think I have one picked out. However it doesn't come with materials.

Been looking around on ebay and thought this might be a good deal just to get started with some of the basic things before it turns into a money pit.

What do you think?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLY-TYING-MATERIALS...=item3cbcbc7e87

It is OK, but really not much of each material, especially for a beginner that is likely to go through some extras when trying out techniques.

I would seriously look at buying a decent kit or just the vice, and essential equipment separately, some basic threads and cement....then see about getting some spare mats from local tiers...either from here, club (like the hook & hackle) meetings, or at the tying meetings I am hoping to start in November.

That is not bad for a beginners kit. I usually tell people to stay away from kits, namely those sold in places like crappy tire etc.

At ~$25 it seems to be a good selection of items if you are not sure if you want to make a big investment in materials.

Andrew

Start with a $20 vise, tie yourself a whole bunch of wire san juans (because they are easy and nymphs are lost readily). After that graduate to the wholly bugger (because it's big & teaches the steps involved to tie it as well as a nymph but on a bigger scale) . Then if you are doing alright pick your favorite nymph and materials to tie that one. Tie a pack of them till you are happy with them and their proportions. Purchase more materials to tie other nymphs that you like and master them. Finally, move onto dries after that if you are doing well and find that you are enjoying the craft.

That is how I would go about it if I did it all over again.

P.S. Tying will while away many cold winter nights but if you get into it it's going to be a $ pit. Trust me.

By a good book or video, then pic a fly or two or three you want to tie, buy the materials for those flies only and start tying. Trust me when I say that fly tying is a runaway train once it gains momentum lol! There are tons of vids on youtube or anywhere, set up the vice infront of your PC and giver. If your fishing around calgary sart easy,

San Juan Worm

Beadhead Hares Ear Nymph

Boatman patterns are super easy and effective

Wooly Buggers