Fly Fusion Forums

Chrome Boatman

ÜberFly

Purchased a couple of these yesterday at Fishtales and the fish where we were fishing were slamming them under a hopper (no surprise)... Can anyone pass along a pattern, they seem pretty easy to tie (if in fact they were tied with an oval chrome bead - presume you could get these at Michaels?!

Thanks,

P

• 3 weeks later...

I tie a pattern that sounds pretty close to what you describle, but I use a pearl oval bead.

-I put a large needle in my vice, and then I slide the oval bead on, the diameter of the needle should be large enough that the bead won't turn. I take a dremel with a cutting disk on it and I cut a grove about 4/5ths of the length of the bead.

- Slide a red round bead on to a hook (I like the 1xl 2xh wetfly style hooks) for the eyes

- Tie in a set of rubber legs about 2/3 of the way down the shank so that the legs stick out at right angles (leave them a bit long)

- slide the pearl bead on to the hook and position the grove in the bead so it faces up. Pull the legs out of the grove.

- I use a brown mottled synthetic wing material for the shell, start the thread behind the bead and tie in the shell but trim it to make the tie in point as small as possible. Whip finish and cut the thread

- Start the thread again between the beads, but before folding the shell back over I fill the grove in the oval bead with flexcement.

- Fold the shell back over, and tie off. If you want, use a small amount of dubbing between the two beads to hide the tie off point. Turn the fly upside down and let dry.

Ideally the oval bead slides back and covers the tie in point at the back, the flexcement binds the shell to bead and protects the legs so the fly is pretty much bullet proof.

I buy almost all of my beads at Beads and Plenty More (Northland Village Shoppes and Bonavista)....great selection of metallic and glass beads (at a fraction of the price of Killer Caddis beads).

That being said, I would love to see a couple of pics of this boatman, and a pattern....otherwise I need to drive the 30 km down to Fishtales so I can buy some and autopsy one. ;) I hate having no fly shops here in the NW...somebody open one, please!

anybody no where to get the chrome beads been to the bead store in northlands mall & micheals in sunridge

Well, there is Beadles down on 17th Ave SW & 7 st...I am not sure of their stock, as due to the problems finding parking in the area, I rarely go there.

I am not completely certain that the pattern is using a bead, unless the opening on the bead is large enough to thread onto the hook over the eye. I really want to see a pattern on this one.