Fly Fusion Forums

New Fly Fisherman

tanner1983

This is my first post to this site, from what i have read if you ask about a good place to go fishing they will eat you alive on here. So that is not what i am doing, i am looking for a good place to learn to fly fish. Currently i am having a hard time with casting but i have been watching some videos and getting better but i would really like to get out and try what i am learning. i have been to johnsons island a few times but have had no luck. I like going there because it is about 15 minutes from my house. if anyone has some info about johnsons island and where some good places to go in that area are, that would be greatly appreciated. i don't have a boat if that effects the locations.

Guest Jeremie

Great first post, welcome to the forum! Usually a good place to start would be a stocked trout pond with lots of back cast room. Try and find out when they first stock it in the spring or fall for some ponds, and then go a few days after. Usually tons of little catch-ables that will eat just about anything!

Tight lines! Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Jeremie

The bow is tricky to learn on. Fish a smaller river first and get used to presentation. I'd suggest a pond as well or try a river such as the Crowsnest. It's how I started. I'm self taught on casting too. Watch some youtube vids and read some books and you'll turn out just fine.