Fly Fusion Forums

Best, Worst And Weirdest Fishing Outing Of The Season

Remps

I was on the sheep down stream from Turner Valley about a week and a half ago and I lost my net, so yesterday I decided to go out and and try to find it. The weather looked like it was going to stay clear and boy was I wrong. I got to about the third hole when I stared smelling rain, I looked behind me and she was coming. I figured I would keep fishing until I started getting wet, that was a mistake.

The water was dirty from the last two day of rain so I decided to nymph and pick up some whitefish. So right before the rain hit I hooked into a whitefish, so I thought. After a few minutes of not getting the fish off the bottom I figured it was a bull and I fairly nice one. So by this time the rain has hit and with the rain so did pea size hail! I wasn't going to break off the fish to go find cover. So about 10 minutes later I landed this mid 20's Bull, and sure enough the hail stopped for now. This marked the fist time I caught a bull with a nymph.

The next cast I hooked into either a rainbow or a whitefish, and right as it came to the surface one of the biggest bulls I have ever seen just demolished this fish. I have had bulls chase cutts in the mountain streams before but not like this, usually they chase them around and get them then let go when they see you and so on. This bull hit the fish and went right to the bottom and by the next time I saw him about 10 minutes later he still had the fish in his mouth. he decided to go for a fun and took me to the next pool. After fighting the fish for a bit longer I landed him. I figured to see the other fish in his mouth but instead a size 14 prince hooked into the side of his lip. I figured that the fish got off and the nymph hooked him, but I still cant understand how that happened because the big bull T-bonded the fish so the nymph would be outside of the bulls mouth. So I have no idea how it happened but I am glad to see that it did. The big bull was just over 30. my biggest fish on a fly rod so I was a happy camper. I know that this post is useless with out pics but I didn't bring my camera because I figured I would be catching anything either then Whites.

My very next cast hooked into another bull with the nymph. I am not sure if there stacking up for spawning, but I thought they head up to the falls for the spawn. I stopped fishing that hole because I didn't want to interrupt them. I caught a few more smaller bulls on the nymph down the river but nothing huge.

I didn't end up finding my net and I did get hailed on again on the way back to the truck but a 30ish inch bull to hand sure made me happy I went.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a post from back on august 19th. THis was the weirdest/best outage from here in Washington.

"Two nights ago I headed out to the Cedar to fish my normal haunt. It was truly a banner night with 6 fish landed, no dinks amongst them, 4 of them being in the beefy +15inch range (okay beefy for me).

So largest fish of the night hooked just at the edge of darkness / dusk. Now this looked like one of the largest fish I'd ever caught on the Cedar, so out comes the camera for a hero shot. Next think I know with all the commotion of taking a picture and getting the fly out of the fish mouth, plop downs go the camera and also the rod.

I quickly grab the camera and flip around to grab the rod – gone. The current had taken it away. I spent the next 25 minutes looking downstream for the rod in the dark with my light. No luck - this just happens to be my favorite 3 wt (St. Croix) and reel (Vosseler) so I am a bit devastated. So a banner night of large fish on the Cedar is ruined in a couple careless moments.

So what to do next, post something in lost and found? No not right away. I got up early yesterday morning and hit the river in day-light before work. Took my trusty backup 3wt and fished my way down to the spot where I had lost the rod. I think spent the next 45 minutes scouring down to about 100 yards downstream of where the rod was lost. My efforts were fruitless - nothing. In disgust I head back upstream haven given up.

About 80 yards downstream of the spot I lost the rod I went over to a part of the river that looked like it had a one inch cable running from behind a rock (thinking perhaps it would be tangled up in it or something). When I got closer, the cable turned out to be no cable (optical illusion) but was some green fly line (mine) .. gave it a tug and my rod came floating to me! Woohoo .. redemption."

Stew

• 2 weeks later...

About a dozen years ago, I tried the spot just downstream of the treatment plant, downstream and on the west side of the Glenmore overpass. Just as I parked and got out, I noticed two guys unloading their rods and about 18 beer. They appeared to have drank the other 6 on their way to the spot. I decided to stick around and watch for a while. More to make certain that they were okay. They weren't hurting anything, and I figured they were looped enough that the fish really didn't have to fear these guys.

Anyway, the one guy was busy talking to me over his shoulder as he was casting when I noticed that one of the seagulls that frequent that stretch of river was kind of flying off kilter. The guy starts yelling "Hey! I've got a Seagull!". About then, the bird falls out of the sky into the river. Buddy starts reeling the seagull in, and since I'm the only one nearby who isn't looped, I volunteer to help him with the bird, figuring he might have injured it.

As he pulls it in, I can see that all that has happened is the line has wrapped around the bird a couple of times, and the hook has simply crossed over the line, creating a very simple slip knot. The seagull was not injured, but man, was it MAD. I put one hand on the bird to hold it's wings where the line was wrapped around, and then reached down with my other hand to undo the line.

Snap! The dumb seagull chomps down on my thumb. Now I have to let go of the bird with my other hand, so that I have a hand to untie him. Both of the beer buddies are killing themselves laughing as the birds wings come free, and swat me a few time prior to it realizing it was free and flying off.

Somehow, by this time, I had lost my desire to fish at this spot. I left feeling somewhat comforted that no dumb animals were injured in the making of this adventure.

Had a first for me the other day on Willow Creek, caught a spawnin' brookie with my bare hands. Wadin' through a shallow riffle and I just about stepped on a spawnin' pair and one beached itself tryin' to get away. Nice fish too, over 35cm.