Fly Fusion Forums

Camera Talk

Remps

I am in the market for a new underwater camera, and after a pile of research I am stuck between two. Panasonic lumic DMC-TS3 and the Sony TX10. I am sure I cant go wrong with either but I want some peoples input on them, the likes and dislikes.

Thanks for the input

I bought the TS3 to replace an older Olympus one. The video is a nice addition and the images are a bit sharper. The menu is still easy to figure out, and the auto mode can detect when you're trying to do a macro so you don't have to manually change it. The only issues I've had are fingerprints (no more shutter across the lens), and sometimes the images have a blue-green cast on auto if the sun isn't out. You also need to re-sync the GPS if you've moved a bit since last using it, or it will be off.

I bought the TS3 to replace an older Olympus one. The video is a nice addition and the images are a bit sharper. The menu is still easy to figure out, and the auto mode can detect when you're trying to do a macro so you don't have to manually change it. The only issues I've had are fingerprints (no more shutter across the lens), and sometimes the images have a blue-green cast on auto if the sun isn't out. You also need to re-sync the GPS if you've moved a bit since last using it, or it will be off.

Just picked up the panasonic TS3 from the camera store, they were the cheapest and had some additional stuff with it. I can't wait to finally post pictures with it. Now I just need fish.

I just picked up the TS3 and it seems like it's a bit better than the TS1 (which I lost a month ago). Right now Vistek is having a good sale so if you go to Bestbuy and get them to price beat them you can get it for about $323. My old TS1 was incredibly tough even though it wasn't officially freezeproof or waterproof past 10 feet, I pushed those limits badly without any issues.

The only thing I wish the camera could do would be RAW images but its a small price to pay for the durability.

I bought the TX10

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-...58%28ME%29.aspx

It takes awesome pics for a point and shoot. I love the quality compared to the Fuji XP20/30 I was looking at so I was willing to spend the extra money on it.

That touchscreen though can make me lose my mind. When your hands are wet and leaving drops of water on the screen it becomes less responsive when water beads are on the screen. Also when trying to setup a timed shot and placing it on the rocks you end pushing something by accident and canceling the time delay.

Sometimes I get out of focus pics when using the time delay too, but I don't think that's camera issue and that fault belongs to me. Just me standing slightly off to the side and it wants to focus on the center. Just need to adjust where it focuses on in the pic.

One my favorite features of the camera is the built in manual. Just click the question mark and select a feature and it explains "whats this?" Probably more common then I think it is, but its the first time I've seen this built into an electronic device.

In the end the TX10 is a really good camera for a point in shoot. Some slight annoyances with the touch screen but, not enough to really say don't buy this camera! It is nice being able to just tap the screen to say focus here instead of using the camera buttons to maneuver the a box to the focus area. Screen scratches easily too so it will need a protector.

I didn't play with panasonic camera while i was shopping though so I couldn't compare the 2

I just picked up the TS3 and it seems like it's a bit better than the TS1 (which I lost a month ago). Right now Vistek is having a good sale so if you go to Bestbuy and get them to price beat them you can get it for about $323. My old TS1 was incredibly tough even though it wasn't officially freezeproof or waterproof past 10 feet, I pushed those limits badly without any issues.

The only thing I wish the camera could do would be RAW images but its a small price to pay for the durability.

On your TS3 there is an option for underwater mode. Is it more clear when your using that mode underwater and do you know what happens if you don't use that mode underwater?

My Panasonic Lumix leaked. The cover/latch to the battery/memory card as well as the latch to the USB don't seem as well designed as my old Pentax Optio.

Camera was saved...

my .02

Everything else is awesome

There were reports of the TS1 leaking but it's usually because something get caught in the rubber seals. You are supposed to replace them every year but I didn't bother and never had any issue but I made sure the seal was kept clean.

As for the underwater mode, I had used the camera with and without the mode turned on and there wasn't a huge difference. I think the underwater mode adjusts camera settings to generally work better for underwater but I'm not sure excatly what it does.